Making Ethernet Cables

maxse

Gawd
Well I just got down ot making this stuff. I had 100ft of Cat5e ordered with the crimp tool and testers. Now I just striped the wires. I found the diagram on this site that shows the color layout: http://www.avontech.co.uk/advice/cat5.htm

The only problem is that in the diagram there is a space to put white and green, and anothre one where its just green. Well, when I stripped the cable, I only have ONE GREEN. So how can I possibly have it in 2 different slots????

These are the colors I have. 4 White, 2 Orange, 1 Blue and 1 Green. Help guys Im in the middle of this project and am stuck!

Do this, since it is twisted par take your pairs, the one that is solid, like orange will be the orange cable, the white one that is twisted with it will be the orange/white cable. The same will apply with the other colors as well. Take a closer look at the two orange because one of them is the brown.

with the plug facing towards you (gold bits side looking at you, and springy bit on the other side where you can't see it) the order is:

Orange (with white stripe)
White (with orange stripe)
Green (with white stripe)
Blue (with white stripe)
white (with blue stripe)
white (with green stripe)
brown (with white stripe)
white (with brown stripe)

thanks liquid. I looked closer at the wires and actually I can see the tiny stripes one them now. The problem is my Orange, does not have a white stripe on it. ITs just orange! Also I have two white wires that have orange/brown stripes its just hard to see wihch one is White with orange stripe, and white with brown stripe. The colors I have now are as follows:

White(orange/brown stripe)
White(orange/brown stripe)
White(Green Stripe)
White(Blue Stripe)
Blue
Brown
Orange
Green

ok guys. Ive figured out the colors now. Didnt lok close enough before to see the stripe. Now my biggest problem is putting all of them in the RJ45 connector! Wow its impossible! There is such a small space for it to go. How am i supposed to do it. Because once I put the first wire in. and go look for the second wire as Im about to put it in the first wire ususally slips back out. And whne Im up to like the 6th wireI usually need to slid the wires out a little to put it in the connector and all of them come out.

How do I do this? Am I supposed to crimp it everytime I put a wire in to hold it in place?

make it about 1/2 inch of exposed wires, get the wires ordered before ever trying to place them in the rj 45 end, then just slide the entire set in, all at once, then push it till you can see copper on the other end of the cable, crimp, test, and call it done!

i meant to say connector instead of cable when pushing the wires into the rj45 plug, sorry :)

damn smoke you make it sound so easy. Wait so ur saying I should also strip some of the wire meaning some of the colored wires, not just the white surround plastic? I just tried to organize it in my hand and once I put them into the connector they spread out again and get all messed up. Oh man it seems impossible, but I keep reaidn that its so easy. Am I just doing osmetihng wrong?

Best place to buy 1000ft of Cat5e + Crimper + RJ45 endings + tester? Home Depot? CompGeeks.com???

all comes down to patience bro, basically, the blue(or white) covering, called plenum, on the outside of the cable, that surrounds all the cable, only have 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of actual wires showing from that, you can have much more to organise them into the correct order, then just make it about the lenth of your thumb nail, which should be perfect, snip the excess, then insert into end, and crimp tha hoe! that should get ya going, if i can, i will try to find a site that has a step by step photo walk through, if your anything like me, trying to picture it might be a bit tough.

Don't strip the wire the covers the copper itself, this could be bad. Just cut off the outside sheath. The way that I always did was just like SomeFknGuy said. You don't want to untwist too much of the cable because then it stands a chance of not passing your testing/certification. It just takes practice. Making cables is like doing the, well you know....the more you do it, the better you get.

slick rick nailed it right on the head, thats exactly what i was lookin for to show him! thanks :)

help guys Im starting to run out of rj-45 connectors. I started organizing and inserting them correctly. But when I hook it up to the network it doesnt light up. I looked at the layout of some existing cables that I had and check with diagrams online and it turned out to be corssover. So I did it just the cable I had, and it still didnt work! Then I looked at another ready-made cable I had, and they had yet another different layout!!!

So I guess there are different layouts of the colors for each type of cable??? I mean that could be the only way to explain the difference between two of the cables that I had, plus they both show that they are strait through when I put them through the tester! Help

maxse said:
help guys Im starting to run out of rj-45 connectors. I started organizing and inserting them correctly. But when I hook it up to the network it doesnt light up. I looked at the layout of some existing cables that I had and check with diagrams online and it turned out to be corssover. So I did it just the cable I had, and it still didnt work! Then I looked at another ready-made cable I had, and they had yet another different layout!!!

There are a couple possibilities. You havent crimped the end properly or the wires arent organized properly in the end.

When putting the cable into the end, make sure that they all go in (look at the connector). To make it easier, make sure all the wires are the exact same length and flatten them out a bit before shoving them into the connector.

maxse said:
So I guess there are different layouts of the colors for each type of cable??? I mean that could be the only way to explain the difference between two of the cables that I had, plus they both show that they are strait through when I put them through the tester! Help

No, there arent anything special about the wire colors. The guides that were posted are for industry standard wiring diagrams and as long as the wires connect to the same pin assignments on the other end, the colors dont mean squat.

I just got into my mind... White-orange/orange/white-green/blue/white-blue/greenwhite-brown/brown.

It takes patience, practice and a little time, but once you start doing it, you get the hang of it and can do it in your sleep.

Another guide with illustrations on x-over and straight are here:
http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

guys on a straight through cable does it have to be the same on both ends??? I keep doing this and it doesnt work. I redid it like 10 times, and still zero. Here is the layout i have. This is looking right at the rj-45 connector with the clip facing the back.

Light Green-Green-Light Orange-Blue-Light Blue-Orange-Light Brown-Brown

damn im so pissed. Im pretty sure all of the ends are all the way to the end... lol. I looked on the other side looks good. Still nothing. :(
On a straigh pai connected through linksys, it should be the same on both ends right?

damnit. Still not working arghhh. My fingers are starting to kill me already. What could I be doing wrong? They are exactly the same on both sides, and go all the way through to the end!

You said you ordered testers? you can usually use the testors to tell you what you did wrong (again, dependign on teste type etc it may not be possible, but even most cheap testors now have leds to help you out)

I remember this being a pain in the ass. We did this in cisco class and we had testers that you plug it into and it made sure that you had all the wire configs right. Pretty handy little tool.

well, what can I say? I luv you guys. I did evreything right my only problem was that I wasnt squeezing the crimer hard enough lol. I was afraid to ckrack it or someting. And when I realized that the test only blinked once, I was like wait a minute. And gave it a nice hard squeeze lol, and it worked! yey! Thanks every1 who helped, I would not have done it without you.

Back