making a pentium II faster, am i screwed?

nickmpower

n00b
I am wondering if there is any way to upgrade the 400mhz pentium II processor in a sony c1 picture book. I know they make faster models, and i have a 600mhz transmetta, but its much slower then the pentium in real use.

so are there any better chips that would fit? I know i would need to find someone with an SMT machine but are there even any other chips that would fit?

Considering the size of that notebook, the processor is probably soldered to the motherboard and you can't change it. Even if you could I don't think there are any chips that are faster. The fastest mobile Intel Pentium II was 400MHz, so you seem to have that already and IIRC the early mobile Pentium III - Ms didn't use the same socket.

Even if you could easily do this upgrade.. the speeds and technology that are available today blow away what you are referencing in every way. The great thing is it's all already relatively cheap. I'm curious.. why do you care to hang onto that old thing?

because its the best designed ultra moble ever. decent speakers, full size laptop HDD, keyboard big enough to use and even on old technology could get up to 15 hours on the quad capacity battery. Sony really needs to come out with another.

i have an x505 but its just not the same. it doesnt have a speaker you can actaully hear and the sound card sucks anyways. not to mention it cna only take a 40gb drive

Back