MakerBot Cupcake CNC Ultimate $455

whats the resolution of the plastic thickness? the really expensive 3d printer I use at UCSD has like a minimum wall thickness of .0125, just wanted to compare

also i wonder how much you'll save if u'll save if u make the housing yourself and buy all the electronics + their hardware and put it together?

this is already a discounted price for the non-assembled kit haha SO TEMPTING as an mechanical engineer -___-

Last edited:
whats the resolution of the plastic thickness? the really expensive 3d printer I use at UCSD has like a minimum wall thickness of .0125, just wanted to compare

also i wonder how much you'll save if u'll save if u make the housing yourself and buy all the electronics + their hardware and put it together?

this is already a discounted price for the non-assembled kit haha SO TEMPTING as an mechanical engineer -___-

Details are here:

http://wiki.makerbot.com/cupcake
X/Y Positioning Resolution: 0.085mm
Z Positioning Resolution: 3.125 microns
Typical Z-layer height: 0.3725mm

Positioning isn't going to be the same as the resolution... but yeah. It was too tempting for me to pass up.

I've seen similar in action and I can imagine this would be a lot of fun to play with. If only I had a use for it.

Here I was ready to shit bricks thinking this was a CNC that actually made cupcakes :D

way too much money for how little (useful stuff) they can do. but if you have the money or some use for one, theyre pretty fun to play with for a bit.

These are really really good gifts for kids, the reason is if you look at the past it is often very young people and kids who got into a new emerging technology that wound up being at the very least a highly skilled and demanded workers and in some cases the richest people in the world. Think about the computer generation with people like bill gates and so on. Right place and influence at the right time. While I do not know how big 3d printing will get I am sure at the very least there will be demand for people who understand these machines to build them and operate them for prototyping in many industries. On the other hand it could blow up and be one of those things almost every person has in their home and you can download and print whatever you want. It is certainly fun for someone older but for someone really young having an item like this could be a complete life changer. Of course at $455 you probably want adult supervision lol.

Back