make wallpaper permanent

bloo

Limp Gawd
is there software or some setting i can change in xp pro so other users cannot change the desktop wallpaper?

If It's XP Pro you may be able to lock it down with the group policy editor.
[Start] [Run] and type [gpedit.msc]
This is a very powerful tool so be careful what you do.

If you have your own user account, isn't that good enough? If not, just lock everyone else out of your computer, until they promise not to change the wallpaper.

alphanumeric said:
If It's XP Pro you may be able to lock it down with the group policy editor.
[Start] [Run] and type [gpedit.msc]
This is a very powerful tool so be careful what you do.

I agree with this, gpedit.msc is the way to go :)

i tried both ways mentioned in this thread, but recently i found out that if using firefox, you can simply right click and apply a picture as the desktop.

is there anything that can be done to prevent firefox (or any other web browser) from setting a picture as the desktop?

Find the reg key that defines the desktop wallpaper. Set it to the wallpaper you want and then right click the KEY and go to permissions. Now check mark the deny box and that user cannot change that KEY. Leave the administrator with access or you will never be able to undo what you just did. I do this to prevent regedit from saving the last KEY edited. Somebody could still change your wallpapper by renaming files to match what you entered in the wallpapper KEY but it should stop windows from changing the Key (wallpapper path).

i think i already did something to that effect if not exactly. if i already did do what you posted, then firefox still overrides and you can set whatever as the desktop.

if im wrong and i haven't done what you said, could you post more explicit directions? im not too familiar with editing registry settings. thanks.

I believe the Key you want is in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
Looking at it now I don't think doing what I sujested will work. You would have to right click the "Desktop" key and go to permissions. Denying access to that key would freez everything you see in the right pain. I'm sure if that would be a good idea.

OK, if you go to start=>run=> and enter gpedit.msc you can run the group policy editer.
If you go to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, and finally Display, there is a "Prevent Changing Wallpaper" item in the right hand pain. If you double click it you can then go to the explain tab to see what it does. I beleive this will do what you want. If you already tried it and it didn't work then I don't know what to tell you.

This may be a little extream but if you are determined to lock the wallpaper this may do it.
Disable Save Settings at Exit
When Windows exits it normally saves the desktop layout, including icon location, appearance and other parameters.
This setting disables any changes from being saved therefore allowing you to preserve a configured layout.

Open your registry and find the key below.
User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
Value Name: NoSaveSettings
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)
Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value called 'NoSaveSettings'set the value to equal '1' to enable the restriction.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart for the changes to take effect.

alphanumeric said:
OK, if you go to start=>run=> and enter gpedit.msc you can run the group policy editer.
If you go to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, and finally Display, there is a "Prevent Changing Wallpaper" item in the right hand pain. If you double click it you can then go to the explain tab to see what it does. I beleive this will do what you want. If you already tried it and it didn't work then I don't know what to tell you.

i tried this one, but i could still change it from within firefox.

i haven't tried what you outlined in your last post but ill give it a try when i get a chance.

thanks a lot for the help

Back