Make me feel better about upgrading plz

hiroler

Weaksauce
My sister bought me Vista Home Premium Upgrade through some educators deal it so it was cheap...

I'm torn here on XP Pro. I'm aware that I have to do a clean install to get vista on. So my 18.4 gig HD is my C: and just has XP, BF2, BF2142 on it. My 300gig harddrive is packed with software. If I upgrade to vista on the 18.4 gig SCSI drive, are any of my programs on my 300 gig harddrive going to be useable? or not because everything from XP is in some windows.old folder?

Also, when YOU installed vista home premium upgrade, did it ask for your XP CD? I just ask because mine is at home and I would have to dig up my roomate's CD here at school.

Sorry I can't find help anywhere else by people who actually have installed this, only people who think vista is like win 98.

THANKS!

First off ,the 18gig drive is kinda small for a Vista OS. Second, with an upgrade disc, LEGALLY, you need a installed copy of XP that's activated, in order to use an upgrade disc.It's no longer ,just put the cd in, to prove ownership like XP was. The XP coa becomes part of the Vista upgrade license, and so XP can't be used, unless you uninstall Vista.You would be better off with a full version of OEM vista on a seperate drive.Vista may or may not be compatible with your software on the big drive.I am aware of the dual install work around, but at this time, there's a BIG question that this is even legal.

My C drive is currently 20GB. If its not enough, so how much space do i need for OS?

My C drive is currently 20GB. If its not enough, so how much space do i need for OS?

Depends on how your going to configure the rest of your system. Personally I always give my OS installs 30g. But that's just my opinion.

I read somewhere else though that some guy set up a 25gig partition for vista and he said he could have done without 10gigs of it..

I should find that post again. I'm not even sure if my XP here is activated or not it's been so long since I installed it and i do my updates through firefox just out of hate for old IE. Sounds like I may need to go home and get my XP CD and reinstall/activate that just to have a shot at installing vista. Or maybe I should sell this copy of home premium upgrade before I try to install it and my computer is rendered useless.

If I open vista and try to install it can i still sell it legally? lol.

Back