Make a USB printer available over wireless network?

rbarr110

Limp Gawd
I am wondering if there is a way to take a USB HP printer and hook it to some sort of wireless USB bridge so a wireless laptop can print from it? Does that make sense?

I have the printer attached to my desktop but the wife would like to be able to print while using the laptop from around the house.

Thanks

i have this, and i like it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122151

the catch is that it requires an existing wireless access point. i kept it because i could use the ethernet switch that's bundled into it (and you can host two printers, which i have).

if your desk is on the wired end of your wireless network, then there's no problem in using an ordinary usb print server.

if you don't use the set up on the cd, you'll have to disable bidirectional support of the usb printer.

Do you leave your desktop on all the time? If so just share it over the network. If you don't then yea a usb print server should work fine.

With a print server you do not have to leave any machine on, the printer connects to the print server and when you print you link to the print server. And that negtear is a little over kill you can just get a single usb wireless print server.

Back