Make a move: Skt 754 to Skt 939

CRXican

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm debating making this move because I got in on the MicroCenter deal for the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. The switch would require me to purchase a 939 CPU and a PCI-E video card.

To be honest my current system fits me just fine as I don't game often. Having this motherboard gives me the urge though.. I have a thing for staying a step behind the newest trend and have no need for DDR2 or Conroe. My main reason for using the new mobo would be to make the move to PCI-E video cards because as I'm sure you know, AGP cards are a rip off.

Ok, so I don't game often. I also don't multi task. I just want some newer tech, a happy, stable system that will be watercooled (including the northbridge). I have no need for a dual core processor.

Would a Skt 939 3700+ Sandy be a good bargain at $99 to get me into socket 939? I think I'm gonna go with an EVGA 7900GT KO for my video card.

Im not sure why you would buy such a nice video card and a weaker CPU if you don't game. While it would be a fine set of choices for gaming, you would probably be better off spending more on the CPU and less on the vid card. I think if you got a dual core CPU you would love it, even if you feel you don't need it. An X2 3800 is only about 150 these days, and really a nice CPU. I would recommend that and a 7600 GS or GT, since you dont game much.

if you really want to stay single core, whats wrong with the 3800+ venice? It is a single core 2.4ghz but with a 512kb cache for $112. The sandy is 2.2ghz with a 1mb cache. I guess u will be oc'ing so that extra cache might be nice, especially since you can't oc more cache :p The venice should run cooler and prolly have a better memory controller than the sandy, Just some things to think about.

Would a Skt 939 3700+ Sandy be a good bargain at $99 to get me into socket 939? I think I'm gonna go with an EVGA 7900GT KO for my video card.
I've got to say; if you can get a 3700+ San Diego cpu for $99 then go for it. That's a great price and the 3700+ Sandy is a good oc'er as well. Your video card choice is quite nice, especially if you decide to go on up to a dual core cpu sometime in the future.
If I may, I'd recommend some Crucial Ballistix for your ram choice - unless you are going to reuse what you have. It has been good to me so far (see sig).

I would stick with what you have to be honest. There's no reason to buy a new cpu and video card that's sole purpose would be for gaming if you don't game often. You'd end up with an unused cpu that is the same speed as the new one you just bought, as well the old motherboard and video card. You might as well wait until there's a reason to upgrade, because whenever you upgrade you'll be getting newer technology anyways.

Thanks for the input. I have considered just selling the SLI Deluxe and keeping what I have and I might just do that.

One kicker is that when I bought my Swiftech WC kit off of Ebay, the guy included a brand new danger den northbridge waterblock for the SLI Deluxe motherboard.

I guess I could try a FS thread and see what happens. Maybe set a sell by date and if they (mobo and water block) sell they sell, if they don't I "upgrade."

Back