make a LAN device think it's a WAN device?

Kaos

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a router my company gave me that I am locked out of and have no control over, when this is hooked up the e/01 and e/02 connections utilize a tunnel on the device so my machine and IPphone can stay on the company network while im at home.

the problem is that I have fios and this is an OLD cisco router and the speed just isnt there beyond 10meg and no matter what the u/l drops off at 500k ... I dont want to have to go into my fios router and do a release every time i want to swap devices..Ive proposed to the company they make this router work under a lan and they are researching that.

In the mean time I have taken steps to work this on my own.

one of those is using openwrt and vpnc to cut the cisco router of the picture altogether, which works except for DNS (im still troubleshooting that).

But...network gurus....is there a way to make the cisco unit think that it's got a wan address? so it will work as a regular device?

Or rather...if i put my fios router into bridge mode...you can see where im going with this but I really don't have it all figured out yet.

Any ideas would be spectacular.

-K

can you connect the cisco router to the wan? and set up a static route that points all traffic to where you have to go? I think you should probably just use a vpn.

Back