Make a desktop copy?

Decko87

2[H]4U
My mother needs a new computer, it sounds like her hard drive is beginning to fail. She has money to get a new desktop for work, and she is going to buy one. However, she needs all of her files, applications and any other information stored on her computer. She's running windows XP and I'm curious if there is any way to make an exact image of her computer and put it on a new one? Is it possible to do this? Or do I just have to install all of her programs and transfer he files over via external hard drive?

You could do this if you buy the exact same computer. If not, then it wouldn't work because it's set to be installed for the current hardware. Your only option is to backup her data (Word files, etc.) and copy them to the new PC and reinstall the programs she uses. That is, if you can't fix what's wrong with her current one.

Have you ran disk tools to verify the bad drive? Most manufacturers provide freeware utilities to scan the HDD for failures and errors.

If you suspect the drive is failing, back up the data right away. If she is buying a new computer, it will likely come with Windows 7...so there's very little reason to consider moving XP to the new system...especially if it is an OEM system (her old one). The XP license isn't transferable anyway.

Just back her data up to an external drive or something like it, have her get a new computer, and then set it all up on there for her. Then, troubleshoot her old one, and turn it into a server, test system, etc.

Back