MAJOR meebo update

m3ta1head

Meebo is finally out of it's beta stages. There was a huge, huge update last night. Many new features, among them:

1) New visual design - Sandy and I were Photoshop newbies when we first designed meebo and we’ve been itching for an updated look. We’re thrilled to show off David’s latest work!

2) Pop outs - click on that little icon in your IM window to “pop” the window out of the main meebo browser (don’t forget to disable any pop-up blockers you have for meebo.com).

3) Drag and drop buddy list management - Harry A. wrote, “I’d like a way to easily consolidate and manage groups.” Mike C., Frank R., and Rafael F. agree. The ability to move buddies between groups has been our most popular feature request for a while. Enjoy!

4) Skinning - we understand a few of you might be attached to the meebo’s first look and feel. If you are feeling nostalgic, we’ve introduced the ability to switch back to the old skin - just go to the preference area and select the ‘Classic’ skin. Keep an eye out for more skins in the future.

More good stuff…

* Individual sign on and off - now you can manage your screen names one-by-one. Just click on the drop-down menu in the left-hand console area.

* Localization - In addition to Bangla, Creole, Esperanto, Iloko, Jawa, Latin, Malagasy, Marathi, Mongolian, Nias, Swiss German, Thai, Uzbek support - we’ve also translated other parts of the UI such as buttons, menus, and links. The language updates dynamically based upon your location and preference too. Thai looks really good on the new front page!

* Updated Chat Logs - Chatlogs just got a facelift. Power-users (like Sandy and Andreas) will appreciate the new design and speedier loading times.

* AIM Profiles - This has been one of the top three requests for many weeks. AIM users, check out the ‘Set Profiles’ in the console area. Mark recently got engaged, guess what he announced in his profile this week! Congrats!

* Optimization - We’re always trying to make meebo better and faster. Those of you with very large buddylists, like user rnbmelody, will appreciate the new performance enhancements.

Everything is noticeably faster. The new interface is slick, but it isn't overdone. The skins are nice, and the widgets are fun to use (I'm still messing around with it.)

I'd suggest making a meebo account-it basically acts as a master account, and you can log on to all your instant messaging accounts at once with the master account. It also saves all your preferences globally, so you can literally go to any computer and log on to meebo to be greeted by the same thing...every time. Cool, eh?

If you want to compare to the old one, grab the version before here:

classic.meebo.com

Enjoy!

Cool, when I'm on a computer that isn't mine I usually just use Meebo. Thanks for the update.

I've been using it since last night. It was interesting.. I logged off, restarted my computer, went to meebo.com, and everything had changed! lol.

VERY nice features.

that's pretty cool. I'll have to bookmark it and tell some of my friends.

My router (belkin) likes to drop my AIM ports randomly. Meebo, because it uses port 80, works 100% of the time which is nice.

I know I could change the AIM port. but.. I have meebo! Gotta get a new router anyways..

Back