Major flaw detected with AMD 7900 XTX vapor chamber cooler

No shit open air might be cooler. Yay for captain obvious. But you know what else? Those people don't give a shit about the hardware as long as most of it lasted long enough for them to make something off of it and get rid of it. If you think that everyone had "perfect" mining setups designed with keeping the hardware in good shape in mind, I have some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you. I posted one small example of what I have personally experienced. I didn't say I killed the cards. I didn't say the cards were running at the limit regarding thermals. I flat out stated that one of the cards ran a hell of a lot hotter than normal because of the setup. And guess what, the same thing is going to happen with your precious mining setups. We're not talking about a datacenter with a/c units blowing cold air over everything. We're talking about something someone probably has shoved in a closet somewhere because the sound and noise are too much to put up with.

I'll talk about something I do have knowledge about and that's having more than one GPU running together. Don't try to tell me to shut up. There's absolutely nothing in your post worth looking at. Mining abuses cards. Miners modify and abuse cards. They don't care about the life of the hardware nor what happens to it after they get rid of it. Thus, what the bogus report about is 95% likely mining cards which were abused and sold off without caring what happened to it.
Alright. Let's stay somewhat on topic here please.

Last edited:
Mined for 3 or 4 years with my 16 R9 290s 4 cards per MotherBoard. Cutting edge back then LoL.. Undervolting helped along with hand built open air "cases". Still using some of them now for pc/workstation tasks. Not your average mining gpu story I would imagine.
Seriously though those cards could take a beating. Funny enough the first batch of factory reference R9 290s also had overheating issues, clearly nothing changed.

Seriously though those cards could take a beating. Funny enough the first batch of factory reference R9 290s also had overheating issues, clearly nothing changed.
I RMAd two of those 16 within a year and never had an issue since.

AMD is replacing the affected cards, so not a huge deal. Sucks if it turns out to be thousands of cards for the end users having to dick with rma'ing though.

Shit happens.

I was surprised to hear that water is what is used in those vapor chambers, I always thought it was some special solution, or maybe chemical with a lower boiling point than water.

And an entire 300mm wafer of the first dual core CPUs in the middle.

View attachment 540897
Fuckin awesome!

I was surprised to hear that water is what is used in those vapor chambers, I always thought it was some special solution, or maybe chemical with a lower boiling point than water.
I thought I remembered hearing somewhere it was water...cant remember where though. Still interesting stuff.

...I was surprised to hear that water is what is used in those vapor chambers, I always thought it was some special solution, or maybe chemical with a lower boiling point than water....
They lower the pressure inside to lower the boiling point; water can be made to boil at temperatures all the way down to 0°C in a total vacuum.

They lower the pressure inside to lower the boiling point; water can be made to boil at temperatures all the way down to 0°C in a total vacuum.
And it’s not like they are using tap water, it would be something purified then treated to be less reactive with the copper.

And it’s not like they are using tap water, it would be something purified then treated to be less reactive with the copper.
Some people call it coolant so yea nothing like your typical tap water at the very least.

hrmm. go figure. wonder if dipstick youtubers issue retractions about the FUD..?
I figured this happened. some miner sold shit load and didn't properly take care of the cards. he shoudl have asked that question first. I appreciate his followup but it was fail job at first not including in survey where they got the card instead of blaming it on driver, which by default is going to become the common denominator whether it is or not.

https://videocardz.com/newz/radeon-...-storing-conditions-and-cryptomining-to-blame

Oh wait so it wasn’t the drivers? That’s why I said people to calm down. Most cards came from same seller Lmao. So miner who didn’t treat his cards right.

Yet over on the ocuk forums some people were arguing blind that there was a correlation between the drivers and the cards failing. Yet when asked why only x amount of cards in a single country were affected and nowhere else on the planet, that point got glossed over.

Yup... :rolleyes: It really boggles the mind how some people's brains work when they clearly have an axe to grind.

But, but, but... I was assured by crypto people that miners take care of their cards so well that it's impossible for something like this to happen to mined cards.

I feel like we've been badly misled :cry:

But, but, but... I was assured by crypto people that miners take care of their cards so well that it's impossible for something like this to happen to mined cards.
There are always big mining farms off loading cards, washing them with stupid things. If you are buying from a miner here who mines on few cards or so in good environment in their PC in off time is fine. lets not confuse the message or make it about something it isn't. Cheers.

"So a miner who didn't treat his cards right" I mean its pretty clear I am calling it out like it is.

There are always big mining farms off loading cards, washing them with stupid things. If you are buying from a miner here who mines on few cards or so in good environment in their PC in off time is fine. lets not confuse the message or make it about something it isn't. Cheers.

"So a miner who didn't treat his cards right" I mean its pretty clear I am calling it out like it is.
I think his reply is not directing at you, though, but more of sarcasm with missing sarcasm font style / tag.

I think it depends on the card and/or what was mined. Some are apparently just fine even if mined on, like 2xxx cards. The 3xxx cards get the ram pushed really hard and hot, those are expected to be more vulnerable. Haven't heard anything regarding the AMD cards+mining, and all of this is 3rd hand information, never mined myself. It's logical though.

Back