Major Design Changes Are Coming to StarCraft II

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Blizzard has detailed its upcoming design patch for StarCraft II, which is expected to bring significant changes to multiplayer: the majority of tweaks involve specific units, such as MULEs, which can now harvest Vespene gas but bring in fewer minerals, while the Raven gains new abilities such as Repair Drone, which allows it to heal nearby units. Resources are also being retuned in Legacy of the Void to discourage overly defensive playstyles.

Last year we released Patch 3.8 which, unlike smaller balance patches released throughout the year, was a larger set of changes aimed at improving multiplayer StarCraft II through various design changes. This year we are embarking on another design patch and are excited to share with you our initial list of changes! This time around our general focus is to address underused units and abilities while also trying to reduce sudden game ending moments.

Super excited and this thread on reddit: has tons of varying reactions.

Personally I think it is AWESOME they are changing the game this much outside of an expansion. I like the idea of Starcraft (Broodwar/Remastered) being the more static game and SC2 being more volatile and subject to change. I like the Raven changes and Disruptor changes but mostly I like that the MOTHERSHIP CORE IS REMOVED. I've been playing with a group of friends every week for almost 6 years and the reaction from our semi casual (mostly gold league players with myself @ diamond terran) has been unanimously positive.

Not sure I like the Widow Mine change + I wish servos applied to tanks but otherwise I am super stoked for this.

Still too complicated for my old brain, I'll stick to splatoon and other simple games for my online gaming needs.

I didn't get the last one (Legacy of the void?) But enjoyed the first 2 in the Star craft 2 set. But did I read that right? They are adding resources back into multilayer? As in they took them out???? Wth? Please tell me I am reading that wrong.

I didn't get the last one (Legacy of the void?) But enjoyed the first 2 in the Star craft 2 set. But did I read that right? They are adding resources back into multilayer? As in they took them out???? Wth? Please tell me I am reading that wrong.

I think Megalith misread. Resources (amount per node) were reduced per base in order to promote frequent expanding and discourage overly defensive playstyles (aka turtling). As a consequence, you can get screwed over if you get denied more mining bases. They're dialing resources per node it back up a little to make comebacks from fewer bases more feasible.

I think Megalith misread. Resources (amount per node) were reduced per base in order to promote frequent expanding and discourage overly defensive playstyles (aka turtling). As a consequence, you can get screwed over if you get denied more mining bases. They're dialing resources per node it back up a little to make comebacks from fewer bases more feasible.

OK, I was going to say Starcraft with no resources but some sort of point based system would be interesting but not Starcraft.

Still I can't see dropping another 40$ on this game. I will wait until it's 20$ or just not get it. Blizzard gets enough of my money as it is from all the copies of Diablo 2 and 3 I have purchased throughout the years. Enough is enough lol.

Having said that..... I did buy the "new" updated Starcraft...

Which, TBH is a good change imo. I felt way too much pressure to take a third base (as a terran at least due to mules and due to more starting workers) so hopefully we end up less resources than HOTS but more than LOTV. .. I kinda wish that starting workers would go down but ah well.

full on foolish changes IMO.

The nerf to Infestors is insane. I don't know how zerg will deal with carriers now. The only way before was to fungal with a parasitic bomb. While the bomb is stronger it doesn't stack so there is no point to casting more than one. I don't mind the mothership core, the problem was the overcharge was way too strong against melee ground units (zerglings) because you can't kill the pilon easily. Against Terran it didn't really matter. The biggest disappointment is no nerf to repaired cyclones and the massive buff to mules that can now harvest gas!? How about making them like queens where if you miss an inject your screwed. so you can only call one muel at a time until 20 seconds or soemthing.

Have you tried the coop mode? IMO it's really fun!

Back