Maingear Prysma HTPC @ [H] Consumer

Hm...very interesting. But cooling deficiencies can be a death blow to an HTPC.

I'd love to see Maingear offer more traditional HTPC cases.

They seem like a really good company, too bad that case was what ruined the review. I saw a review for that triangle in Maximum PC and it got a 1, out of 10. Why was it picked, it looks tacky to begin with?

Cool review. Their tech support and customer service seem very awesome.

I was very surprised that they are using the Auzentech Xplosion - But, I'm happy the Xplosion is finally becoming a choice.. The Xplosion is a very nice card, and I am very glad I got mine. and yeah, they have had some major driver revisions in the last two months.

The 'Pyramid' design definitely looked UGLY. It didn't look like they used big fans either.. I bet if they were using a few 120MM fans on the sides or something, the artifacting/ crazy heat issue might not have happened..

75-85'C on ANY component is not healthy.

I can understand the problems you were having with the Dinovo, the first time I set mine up, it took me about two weeks of uninstalling and reinstalling during my free time to get it working correctly. I love having to rdp into the system to reconnect the keyboard and mouse when they go haywire. Gotta love logitech and their drivers.

good review but that is one ass-ugly overpriced computer. for $3000 you could easily build TWO of those systems yourself and still have money left over. i also see you got to experience one of nvidias crappy 7900gt cards.

Fisrt off Jason seems like he's a great successor to Chris in writing reviews for [H] Consumer.

I admit I'm somewhat of a non-conformist, but that case is unattractive to say the least and I'm not surprised at the cooling inefficiency. I thought that the gaming experience, at least from an HTPC point of view, should have been slighty higher. Simply because it was a very good overall experience, the card problem didn't seem like Maingear's fault and the problem was resolved in a speedy and professional manner. Not to mention, gaming should be possible with an HTPC, but should be evaluated as something as a plus rather than a semi-requirement, as HTPC's by its very definition is the convenience of the home theatre experience from a couch in an all-in-one convenience via pc.

Very informative and well written review.

Dark Prodigy said:
Fisrt off Jason seems like he's a great successor to Chris in writing reviews for [H] Consumer.

Very informative and well written review.

Thanks, DP! This will probably be the last system evaluation that I write as I'll be moving into a managing role, but seeing good reactions to my articles is a great feeling. This is my 11th article, if I'm remembering all of them. I'm the second oldest member of Consumer after Chris.

Mazgazine1 said:
It didn't look like they used big fans either.. I bet if they were using a few 120MM fans on the sides or something, the artifacting/ crazy heat issue might not have happened..

75-85'C on ANY component is not healthy.

The four chassis fans were all 80mm. They also had an accessory 60mm fan on the back panel that blew toward the CPU fan. 120's may have helped, but that chassis is very weird and I'm not sure where they would have put it to where it would actually do any good.

We're confident that our original XFX card was the root of our artifacting problems as we didn't experience any with our new card under the same heat load. That said, it was like an oven in that case for our components. I took one shot of the expansion card slots and our Cat's Eye HDTV tuner is almost right against the fan for the 7900GT. It's kind of hard to see there, but there's not a lot of breathing room for the XFX.

I think that Maingear's move to the Zalman cooler will help with the CPU temps (and noise) a great deal. We took a look at the Zalman and it looks to be a better solution all around.

clockworks said:
They seem like a really good company, too bad that case was what ruined the review. I saw a review for that triangle in Maximum PC and it got a 1, out of 10. Why was it picked, it looks tacky to begin with?

As I said in the article, Maingear presents this system rather differently on their website. That was one of our gripes.

Interesting review. I'm surprised that the build quality got such a good score, considering all the problems you noted. Chewed-up audio plugs? Yikes!

I don't know why, but something about Maingear's support seems....perhaps too good to be true? I don't want to sound paranoid, but that kind of service seems beyond even what a boutique builder would give. I know you typically have systems shipped to non-[H]-bunker locations, but when you call tech support, do you use a different phone each time? Do you think they could recognize your phone # from the last review, and give over-the-top support?

Ok, that's enough paranoia for one day. That level of service is incredible. You sure pay for it, though.

Mohonri said:
Interesting review. I'm surprised that the build quality got such a good score, considering all the problems you noted. Chewed-up audio plugs? Yikes!

I don't know why, but something about Maingear's support seems....perhaps too good to be true? I don't want to sound paranoid, but that kind of service seems beyond even what a boutique builder would give. I know you typically have systems shipped to non-[H]-bunker locations, but when you call tech support, do you use a different phone each time? Do you think they could recognize your phone # from the last review, and give over-the-top support?

Ok, that's enough paranoia for one day. That level of service is incredible. You sure pay for it, though.

Looking back at our last experience and looking at this one, I think that Maingear's support is the real thing. When we solved the optical audio out issue, I heard Raphael clapping on the other end. Not only are these guys very good at what they do, they enjoy it and are extremely professional - that's a rare breed.

As I said, if the price premium is to be justified somewhere, give it to the tech support.

Excellent review, their tech support alone is a reason why I will recommend them to friends and family. A+ to Maingear, I'm impressed!

i really dont get all these comments just about tech support. am i the only one that thinks $3000 is a ridiculous amount to pay for that pc considering the specs? :confused:

trek554 said:
i really dont get all these comments just about tech support. am i the only one that thinks $3000 is a ridiculous amount to pay for that pc considering the specs? :confused:

Part of that $3000 is to pay for good tech support. Hot specs aren't the only thing that matters in this business.

DNA Doc said:
Part of that $3000 is to pay for good tech support. Hot specs aren't the only thing that matters in this business.
thats basically $1500 for tech support and $1500 for the pc. sounds like a real good deal. not. :rolleyes:

Hi All,

Tech support is a big deal if you're not able to figure out what's wrong with your computer. I'm just guessing but anyone who has issue with the price of the machine reviewed, builds their own machines. For whatever reason, everyone's not able or willing to do so themselves. Maingear seems like they take Customer Support very seriously, and charge their Customers a premium for doing so.

Interesting review.

If you guys did not like the appearance you should have tried that 30 day money back gurantee. I think that for them to even offer that says alot about their company.

Did you guys mention the appearance issue to them?

Man.. talk about tech support!! They built another one to replicate youre issue!! Wow... try and get Dell to do that.

I am impressed with Maingear to say the least...just cannot afford to join the club just yet. :cool:

We had so many other issues with this system that we didn't think that bringing up what the system looked like would add much to our experience.

When they said, "We want you to be happy with your system," we were awfully tempted, but that wouldn't really test their technical support prowess.

Great review. Very nicely done, Jason :)

When I was "window shopping" computers after stumbling across one of your reviews and falling in love with your site I did go to Maingear. Now of course I couldn't afford anything from them, but I was impressed with your review of the Prelude. I have to say, the Prysma did catch my eye from an aesthetic point of view (and being nuts for anything Egyptian-themed and just plain different), but I couldn't figure out how you could possibly fit all the components into that case and cool it - and no I cannot build a computer. I've just seen the insides of enough of them and I am one to be concerned with ventilation and in general where everything is. I also thought the pricetag was pretty hefty for something that seemed a little too trendy and didn't look tech friendly.

The picture of the chewed-on looking audio plugs was just insane. Do they keep a dog in there? Or have a problem with mice?! That the front panel was so hard for you guys to open - having to bend the metal - is not a good thing. Neither is the big ugly Press Here (shades of Alice in Wonderland and the Drink Me bottles). And the mounting being loose? Not acceptable, IMHO, especially in something this expensive. I too am baffled by the Luxor removal on the case. That looks kind of cheesy and cheapens the overall look of the case.

The customer and tech service you received is truly amazing. To have received the new card the next day is just ... WOW. And I appreciate all the time and effort Raphael spent contacting companies for you and actually calling you back and going through each step, not to mention him saying they were going to build a Prysma identical to yours to troubleshoot it is very impressive. I also like that they gave you the cooling upgrade at no cost.

All that said, I'm still a VM fangirl. I could've gotten 2 VMs with some upgrades for the price of the Prysma. They (whoever came up with the case) needs to rethink/redesign for better cooling and airflow, as well as not having the components smashed in so close to each other. That's something I just don't like to see.

Yea while I'm not impressed with the case(I wanted one when the case first came out but it just looked crappy) but the support you recieved was very good. I have to give them props for that. Also we setup one of those logitech bluetooth combos at a clients house. While it kicks ass we had simular issues with it. I ended up having to use his usb mouse a few times to get it working untill I got the issue fixed.

It's probably pretty easy to offer killer support when you deal with a low volume of systems and have like three employees (I read that somewhere on this forum). With just three peeps, I think it's safe to say they knew who you were. But I doubt they gave you a different service experience - I'd be willing to bet every single person gets that kind of service.

The real test of good customer service will be how it changes as a company grows from a small operation to something significantly larger.

Too me it almost seems as if the build got too high a score. Nowhere in the conclusion did it mention the fact that they just about had to break the door in half to open or close it. This is a media pc, which means it is to be used for media which would include playing DVDs. To me that would be a MAJOR concern. I myself open my dvd player about 12x more often than I open my drives on my computers. Typically i'll put a game in an leave it in till i'm ready to switch to playing a new game, however movies i'm switching all the time. I'd assume the same to be true for the average user of a HTPC. They would be accessing their DVD drive often. With the trouble experienced during the review, i'd expect the door to be broken after about a month or two of moderate use. For the price of the system, that is very bad.

I somewhat retract my previous post, I went to Maingear's site to configure a 'lower-end' PC......bloody expensive! But, I'd still recommend them to friends or family who are computer-illiterate. :p

lovemyPC said:
It's probably pretty easy to offer killer support when you deal with a low volume of systems and have like three employees (I read that somewhere on this forum). With just three peeps, I think it's safe to say they knew who you were. But I doubt they gave you a different service experience - I'd be willing to bet every single person gets that kind of service.

Yes, Maingear is a small integrator, though I don't believe it's ever been substantiated that there are only three people there. They're a bit larger than that.

We're fairly confident that they did not know who we were, or we would not have received the unpolished system that we did.

Exavior said:
Too me it almost seems as if the build got too high a score. Nowhere in the conclusion did it mention the fact that they just about had to break the door in half to open or close it. With the trouble experienced during the review, i'd expect the door to be broken after about a month or two of moderate use. For the price of the system, that is very bad.

The build received a "substandard" rating according to our scale, which we thought was fairly fitting. Depending upon your perspective, it could be rated higher or lower. It's true that the front door was a nuisance, but you're exaggerating just a bit. We had to press firmly on the door to open it, but we didn't need a vise. We had this machine for a month and the latch didn't show any signs of weakness. That doesn't mean that it won't over time, but we had to look at it in the context of the time we had it on our bench.

I apologize for not posting earlier; I’ve been running around like crazy lately. Firstly I would like to thank Hardocp for once again producing an honest review. That’s what makes this site one of the best out there. As for this particular review… it is what it is. We have to learn from our mistakes and give our customers what they want. Because of you guys, we’re quickly becoming one of the top builders in the market. I believe that we have one of the best technical support team and one of most talented enthusiasts/employees the industry. We have a few different Media Center chassis that we’re currently working w/ as we speak. The chassis that meets out new media center standard will be the chosen one. If you guys have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Regards
Wallace Santos

BTW; Jason, you’re doing an excellent job. Keep up the clean/honest/creative work.

Thanks for stopping by, Wallace! It's always good to hear from the OEMs.

As we said in the article, we're confident that Maingear can build a great machine - we've seen them do it! In a different/re-hashed enclosure, I think this could be a great machine all-around. It was fantastic in HTPC functionality.

Thanks for the kudos, as well. I hope that I'll be as helpful to the readership as Chris was/is.

Wallace, how big are you guys in terms of # of employees or # of units shipped per month? I don't think it's bad to be a smaller company, but we have been discussing this and would like to know.

Props for taking the risk to try the crazy case, too. Who makes it?

The case is called the "Luxor Pyramid", and the only vendor I've seen carry it retail is SilverPC. Wallace might have his sources, however.

Great review as always.

Maingear definitly seems like a good company.

But I have a couple items I noticed whilst browing the configurator, maybe it's just me, I don't know.

But the prices for the Nvidia 7950GX2 vary. On the AMD X Cube series, it shows a price of add $575 dollars. On the Intel X Cube, it shows the same video card for a price of add $825.

Why would the video card have that price difference if it's the same video card?

Also, for the memory choices, the configurator only lists either 1GB or 2GB....yet in the spec listing next to the picture of the X Cube computer, you can have "up to 4GB" and "up to 8GB" for the Intel and AMD choices.

Not sure what's up with the pricing thing. That's a recently added card to their arsenal, so it may have been a mistake.

For the RAM, if you called them and requested more RAM, I'm sure they would oblige. Not sure why it's not in their configurator, however.

Back