Main Partition Drive letter change

ben chi(f4)

2[H]4U
Someone installed the OS on the D drive and I need to change this to the C drive. Can this be done without corrupting everything?

and you need to change it because...

if you must, then use a boot cd, like bartpe or ubcd and use an off line registry editor and change all references from d: to c: a simple search/replace should do.

Last edited:
From the Microsoft Article:

Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article to change a drive on a computer where the drive letter has not changed. If you do so, you may not be able to start your operating system. Follow the procedure that is described in this article only to recover from a drive letter change, not to change an existing computer drive to something else.

This basically says if during installation, the drive where the OS was installed on, was made say D, then you cannot ever change it to C, you must re-install Windows.

From the Microsoft Article:
This basically says if during installation, the drive where the OS was installed on, was made say D, then you cannot ever change it to C, you must re-install Windows.

Despite that, you can still do it but its a pain in the ass & requires a lot of patience. Not really worth it since certain apps throw fits even if the registry has been repaired correctly. Config files for different apps can also have the system drive location written in & that takes even longer to fix. Usually if I see something jacked in Windows after a fresh install, I start over again w/ the correct fix again on hand to make it all work out well.

Back