Mail Server Software?

I run MDaemon for SOHO businesses. Seems to work relatively good and i've had very little problems.

Hmmm, getting a bit vague don't you think?

What OS, how many users, what type of access (IMAP, POP, WEB), what type of internet connection do you have to run this on, available hardware, rentention policy...etc...etc

There's just a little bit more info that would help the suggestions you get

qmail is popular for *nix boxes. it would require some work to set up though. you will need to specify what exactly you're looking for as far as what OS you are running, what capibilities you need, how many people you will be using this for, etc.

there was one a while back called mail enable for windows, but i haven't looked at it in a while

Type: POP3 & WEB (what's IMAP?)

I have a sufficient computer and internet speed (3.0 / 768)

It's not going to be for a lot of people. Possibly 10 people max :p, and it needs to be compatable with like -> vBulletin, and other stuff that require E-Mail stuff.

Alright, I got HiveMail for WEB MAIL.

What kind of other software do I need to get for MAIL stuff?

And how should I set the mail server?

go with mdaemon

has webmail built in. very easy to setup if your not running IIS

IMail from IPSwitch. Has webmail and super easy to setup and use.

Well, I have the webmail software -> HiveMail.

I don't know how to set it up the Mail Servers to work with HiveMail.

Argosoft Mailserver
MailEnable

Both have personal versions you can use for free.

I used this for a small ISP a long time ago. Was pretty easy to setup/configure and its fully functional free, you just have a little tag added to the end of each email.

http://www.stalker.com/CommuniGatePro/

Its pretty powerful and completely cross platform.

DarkSamurai2003 said:
Hmmmm... for some reason I can't get it working with HiveMail.

The SMTP functions and stuff :( this sux

Keep in mind that port 25 for SMTP is probably blocked if you are at home. Standard ISP thing for home accounts.

hmm, hate to dig up an old thread, but....i used the search function for free mailserver, and came up with this

im looking into setting up a mailserver @ home just for fun. since i already have a dyndns thingy. i found that pegasus mail, and the Mercury mail transport server, which i was considering using, but i see some ppl here prefer MDaemon, i looked that up as well, and from a quick glance it seems it isnt free. what are some free ones that i could use. my specifics are as follows, running a win2k3 standard server, p3 733mhzx 512mb ram, nothing too serious, i mean in all reality ill have maybe 2 or 3 email boxes, just for tinkering and toying around with. eventually ill expand to a website but for now im limiting myself to just gettin a mail server up and running.

P3N1X0R said:
hmm, hate to dig up an old thread, but....i used the search function for free mailserver, and came up with this

im looking into setting up a mailserver @ home just for fun. since i already have a dyndns thingy. i found that pegasus mail, and the Mercury mail transport server, which i was considering using, but i see some ppl here prefer MDaemon, i looked that up as well, and from a quick glance it seems it isnt free. what are some free ones that i could use. my specifics are as follows, running a win2k3 standard server, p3 733mhzx 512mb ram, nothing too serious, i mean in all reality ill have maybe 2 or 3 email boxes, just for tinkering and toying around with. eventually ill expand to a website but for now im limiting myself to just gettin a mail server up and running.

Win2k3 comes with a basic pop3 server option as far as I remember. So there you go!

yes, but unless he knows how to secure it he will be a spam king and not even know it, if i remember correctly it makes auth over the internet a PITA, but that was along time ago and i was fairly new to servers

shaft said:
yes, but unless he knows how to secure it he will be a spam king and not even know it, if i remember correctly it makes auth over the internet a PITA, but that was along time ago and i was fairly new to servers

Good point, hopefully he puts the time in and reads up on all the obligations a mail server admin has (no relay, etc.). Yes that's a hint. :D

Back