Magicka

I can't believe I paid full price for this... just minutes before finding it for cheaper on D2d.

I'm not sure about how the Ubisoft and Activision partner programs work, but games published through the EA Partners program undergo a thorough QA process before release. If this game was published by EA, these issues probably would have been fixed long before release.

Good post.

And, honestly, that's pretty much been my experience. The big name titles published by EA just haven't caused me problems.

The stuttering is killing this game for me. Guess I'll wait and see if they address this issue before playing again.

The stuttering is killing this game for me. Guess I'll wait and see if they address this issue before playing again.

Too many reports of this issue for me to spend even $8 on the game. Is this really a game-breaker? I suppose I don't have to be so picky if the game is good... I tolerated Morrowind's awkward movement and combat mechanics.

I guess I'll try to watch some gameplay videos to see if I can spot this issue.

get the demo. I have not seen stuttering. there were graphic artifacts the first day but they have not recurred for me.

I tried the demo and there were no performance issues. However, when I bought the full game, it was stuttering, even in places where there had been zero issues in the demo. It's possible the demo and final version of the game are different builds. Although I think they updated the demo as well last night, so I'm not sure how things stand currently.

I honestly don't notice the stuttering much at all. I didn't realize it was there until you guys mentioned it. Looking at it now I do notice it, but it's not bad. I'd like it fixed though.

If none of the issues were being fixed I'd feel like I got screwed over by someone trying to make a quick buck, but since they are being fixed I don't mind.

Btw, that steam steam steam arcane lightning(or lightning arcane?) spell is ridiculous. Nice for casting in an AoE too. I just run up to goblins now and 1 shot them all.

I noticed some pretty big stuttering issues in the demo. I went ahead and bought the game anyway, because I think I can trust the developers enough to fix the major issues in the near future. Hopefully my faith isn't misplaced, because the game itself seems really interesting.

It seems fun. Was a bit perturbed I couldn't remap the mouse controls. I had to go find an old three button mouse out of my spare hardware drawer. Apparently a four button mouse is too much and wouldn't allow me to cast on myself.
I had some stuttering video issues too.

Too many reports of this issue for me to spend even $8 on the game. Is this really a game-breaker?

On my computer it's VERY noticeable. I'm not sure what the correct terminology is but it's a combination of my character stuttering and part of the picture shifting like it's trying to catch up and center on my character as well. Maybe it has trouble with large monitors or something, I dunno.

FWIW, I'm using a 19" widescreen monitor w/ 2ms response time and the stuttering's not bad. So if you're using a larger one maybe that could be it.

On my computer it's VERY noticeable. I'm not sure what the correct terminology is but it's a combination of my character stuttering and part of the picture shifting like it's trying to catch up and center on my character as well. Maybe it has trouble with large monitors or something, I dunno.

I turned shadows down to medium and it seemed to clear up most of the stuttering for me without making any noticeable difference in the graphics. I still hope it gets fixed though. The developer's Twitter said that there will be a big patch on Monday because "Steam don't work on weekends" (to use their own words).

eh, the game makes me rage. I guess i'll never be good at something where I have to keep looking at the keyboard and also do lots of health and shield management...

like to see them port it to a console. that would be a laugh

eh, the game makes me rage. I guess i'll never be good at something where I have to keep looking at the keyboard and also do lots of health and shield management...

like to see them port it to a console. that would be a laugh

..or instead of waiting, you could just plug in a controller. Pretty sure I saw them playing with controllers and talking about them in interviews on youtube. Though when I played it today it didn't mention controllers in Options. Seems odd if they didn't include the code in the PC version, since they're XNA and all....

Last edited:
..or instead of waiting, you could just plug in a controller. Pretty sure I saw them playing with controllers and talking about them in interviews on youtube. Though when I played it today it didn't mention controllers in Options. Seems odd if they didn't include the code in the PC version, since they're XNA and all....

I first tried it with a controller for the first couple chapters, and TBH the mouse+keyboard is much better. It takes a lot longer to build a spell because you need to use the right thumbstick to select elements, and you can only go up, down, left & right, but since there's 8 elements, you need to go up/down or left/right again to select. You can't really aim very well, either, as you have to guess by the way your character is facing since there's no crosshairs.

Game is very fun, however the crash to desktops and random bug is very annoying, especially when they hit you one after another.

This dlc, where the hell do you get it? I ordreed on steam with the dlc and yet heard nothing about it since. I don't have the items in game or anything.

This dlc, where the hell do you get it? I ordreed on steam with the dlc and yet heard nothing about it since. I don't have the items in game or anything.

You get it right away in the game, upon character creation.

Quote earlier from the thread:

Heads up. If you purchase the game before January 31st you get three free items; a Wizard's Hat, a Sharp Sword, and a Staff +1, as well as a new magick called Meteor Shower.

I got the meteor shower spell, but I have no wizards hat, sharp sword (Only have a blunt sword still), nor staff + 1 (just a white staff I picked up, before that it was regular staff you get at the start).

In my "dlc" on steam it simply states "wizards hat" then "forum registration" and that's it.

I don't know about the sharp sword, but the hat you choose through cycling the character appearance on the game selection screen

Is there any downside to killing the NPC's? I've killed everything that will die (Vlad being the exception) so far.

Looks like I might have the "stuttering" issue I've seen described in other places.
My OSD says 60 fps but the game skips a frame every few seconds. Also I have 4x AA forced in my driver panel but the game clearly is using 0x. MLAA works but it sends me to 16 fps.

:rolleyes:
Guess I should wait for more patches.

so does anyone have the problem where u play multiplayer online with friends and then the hosts only sees the monsters and everyone else doesnt see aynthing?

Sadly, I fear there's a good chance the network architecture of this game is so broken it'll never work correctly.

I just finished my first playthrough, missed a moose 3 spells and a couple hidden areas.. also missed Garm's dragonslaying sword. So i'm working on my 2nd and 3rd playthough (one to pick up the missed things, and another for the 4hr achievment) I did like the ending, the game did have lots of fun in it.

Back