Magicka

Really... after two days?
The problem is, so many reviewers are raving about this game.
They might want to say something like "it's an awesome game and you should buy it, but beware, you probably won't be able to actually play it yet".

I wish I could have waited to buy it until after they fixed it. :p

The problem is, so many reviewers are raving about this game.
They might want to say something like "it's an awesome game and you should buy it, but beware, you probably won't be able to actually play it yet".

I wish I could have waited to buy it until after they fixed it. :p

I personally got sucked in by a friend of mine who is admittedly not very tech saavy so the stuff like broken Vsync and lack of graphics options went right over his head. He also never played the MP so he had no idea it was broken as hell. My first indication that something was amiss was when it installed XNA on launch. I thought... holy cow... seriously? After i saw the apalling fixed 60 fps and dreaded input lag, I asked my friend about it and his response was "what's vsync? my game stutters a lot, but it's fine". I then realized my grave error in trusting his judgment. Browsing some forums reaffirmed my suspicions that this game was indeed broken.

Seemed like the game got hyped because everyone's jumping on the 'indie games are super great cuz EA and Activision are evil!" bandwagon and praising anything that comes out that's not COD. Also, Chuck Norris and Soviet Russia jokes are a lame attempt at humor using washed out over-used internet memes. Try harder please. Definitely should have tried the demo first.

Feeling ranty right now since so many things about the game bug the hell out of me. Seeing facebook and twitter buttons make me feel legit scammed by some online spammers.

The concept seems great though. Definitely should have waited. Will see what happens with the patching and will give it a shot later on if it's ever fixed.

It just came out and was 10 dollars ...

I get why people would be mad at Treyarch for there fuck up launch but really? First day indie developers ? Games sometimes launch with bugs in check that weren't seen during Q/A ... life goes on.

You guys are pretty ruthless. They will get patched and fixed , they already released a big patch day of release.

Last edited:
I played co-op with my friend for a few hours today. figuring out all the spells was a lot of fun, but it defiantly has a few bugs to work out. At one point we were no longer synced up and he was fighting monsters i could not see. Even with all the bugs it still feels worth playing though.

Two days, two patches. Yeah, there are bugs but at least they are trying. You also did not fork out $60 which apparently is the new mainstream price.

Two days, two patches. Yeah, there are bugs but at least they are trying. You also did not fork out $60 which apparently is the new mainstream price.

I'm used to glitchy games. However this one I think I might wait a week or two, see what everyone is saying then.

Even if I buy this today though I doubt I'd get around to playing it for a couple months anyhow. To many other games to play.

I can't stand the input delay / stutteriness. I can't seem to get vsync to turn off even if I use RadeonPro. Grrr.... :mad:

Yeah I find the delay on the keystrokes to be quite annoying. I often try to very quickly hit A-S-R-right click to do a lightning-arcane-cold beam and it will leave one or more of the strokes out and give me something totally worthless instead. I'm not sure if it was just the online game I was in and associated with lag or if it's the game, but it could be more responsive in that respect. The movement is not as crisp as it could be, but that didn't bother me as much. That feels more like part of the game while the spell inputs just make it feel clunky and annoying, like you're some sort of inept retard wizard.

I'm used to glitchy games. However this one I think I might wait a week or two, see what everyone is saying then.

Even if I buy this today though I doubt I'd get around to playing it for a couple months anyhow. To many other games to play.

I found it to be incredibly hilarious to just fuck around. We had some weird bug though where we didn't get the revive spell until like the third level, so whenever one of us died (usually from friendly fire) we had to sit there and wait for the next built in spawn time, which was annoying. The only gamebreaking bug is that we can't advance past the 6th stage because immediately after killing the boss the game instantly CTDs. It's apparently happening to everyone though, so I expect a very timely patch to fix it.

Last edited:
I'm stuck on the stage 6 boss with a CTD as well. However, I'm not experiencing any input lag issues. The game runs quite fluidly and is responsive for me using an Intel i5 2500K and a Nvidia GTX 260. I recall something about forcing triple buffering helping some people...

The facebook and twitter buttons were pretty silly. I'm having no problems with singleplayer right now.

The one big complaint I have is that moving the character around with the mouse isn't the greatest, imo. I wish you could move with WASD.

Another improvement I'd have is if it remembered your last spell and didn't clear it right away. That'd make repeating spells easier. Then if you start to enter a new spell it could delete the old one.

Overall my quick impression is that it's a good approach at a game. Pure fun. I hope they add RPG elements to the next one and improve the game, especially with some of the above suggestions and then I think it'll be great.

Yes, but can you imagine moving with w/s/a/d and then using all your elements, mixing ithem together on the fly, etc? That'd be a pain to work out unless you have a mouse with plenty of buttons and macros.

I've been enjoying this game a lot, luckily I haven't experienced any of the reported problems in this thread (on an ATI 5850 here, w/ 10.12 drivers).

Still yet to hop in MP though, going through the sp at the moment. Loving the humor in this game.

hrm, really enjoy the style of the game. had to stop playing, I see it now lost all my progress. WTF??

hrm, really enjoy the style of the game. had to stop playing, I see it now lost all my progress. WTF??

Yep - it only saves level progress. So if you quit, you will start from the beginning of the furthest level you got to. I believe this is intended. I had to play the first level twice to figure this out.

I'm not much of a dungeon crawler guy (get bored) but this game looks pretty awesome. Nothing like "oops, random mayhem". Part of the fun of playing Gears MP, for example, with friendly damage on.

I'll pick this up for $10.

I have to say also, this game really really reminds me of Nox, which was a blast to play online back in the day.

Demo blew me away. However I'm gonna wait a while until they add better multiplayer support.

As of right now if I understand it correctly, the only way to play with others is through Steam friends? Is there no server browser or quick game option?

Went ahead and purchased this on Steam last night, for $10 figuired I would not lose to much and got a chance to play for an hour I was very surprised how awesome the game is so far! Great purchase for $10.

Heads up. If you purchase the game before January 31st you get three free items; a Wizard's Hat, a Sharp Sword, and a Staff +1, as well as a new magick called Meteor Shower.

Where do you get those in game? I bought it on steam and never saw/got anything for those items

They come installed. When you are setting up your character robe color, click the arrows to the left and right to change to the DLC robes. You spawn with the sharp sword and staff, and you can cast meteor shower at any time, just look-up the spell recipe.

What is the middle spell in the recipe for the meteor shower? It's not one of the available spells... I'm confused...

It's buggy, but it's effin' hilarious! Me and a buddy have way too much fun 'accidentally' killing each other. All the tongue-in-cheek references to movies etc. got some good chuckles out of us as well.

It's buggy, but it's effin' hilarious! Me and a buddy have way too much fun 'accidentally' killing each other. All the tongue-in-cheek references to movies etc. got some good chuckles out of us as well.

The bugs are starting to really frustrate me, particularly the one where in multiplayer the personal shield gets desynchronized and the game thinks I've got a shield up when I don't. All of the UI displays just get fucked up and suicide is typically the only solution.

That and the rampant CTDs that happen.

when you said cast meteor shower anytime do you mean by just pressing one key?

when you said cast meteor shower anytime do you mean by just pressing one key?

You have to cast the spell (Fire/Earth/Steam/Earth/Fire or something like that), it should be in your spellbook.

I'm not sure if this spell has been mentioned yet, but try steam, steam, steam, lightening, arcane. Its pretty much a murder anything you come across spell. Works wonders on bosses too.

UGHHHH

Well should I wait for the bugs to (maybe) be fixed or is it worth buying now?

wow this is way too much fun / played the demo for about 10 minutes then picked up the game on steam

im not having any problems with locking up or anything

I have to say also, this game really really reminds me of Nox, which was a blast to play online back in the day.

dude! i purpose built a little crap computer to play nox not too long ago - well not just for nox but for older xp games [fallout and the like...]

loved me some nox :)

I don't know if anyone else has used this combo, but it's insane! You need at least two people. One person uses water/arcane beam and the other person uses lightning/arcane/frost beam. Hitting a mob at the same time with both beams is total annihilation. Also, when the beams cross or touch, they cause a huge AOE explosion that causes ridiculous amounts of damage. We've plowed through waves of enemies and bosses without breaking a sweat. Our third person normally gets instagibbed by this combo because he stands too close. :D

Last edited:
This game is a ton of fun. Anyone thinking this game is getting rated well for being "indie" is being ridiculous. There are -not- many games that try to do what this one has. It's a modern NoX with a twisted set of mechanics. Combining spells with your allies is really nifty.

Also, you don't need to play this online for it to be multiplayer. It's one of the only recent computer games that supports 4 players on 1 computer. Plug in some controllers/input devices and have fun with friends in person. It's much less buggy than the online multiplayer.

It took me a day to fix the error (there's an error log file created in the folder to help you with personal endeavors of getting around this game's bugs) that I was receiving so that I could actually play the game. Online multiplayer is currently not working very well. Give them a break. They took on a huge endeavor building in these options for having such a small team. When you add networking to a game like this, all hell breaks loose. It was $10. Your singleplayer/localMultiplayer was worth well more than that.
Give the online Multiplayer a couple of weeks at least.

It was $10... And the game is great... But they should have tested the damn thing before release.

I like to spam health on myself. There have been situations that I spammed so much that the keys didn't seem to register anymore... Possible bug, not sure.

I like to use the e-d-f r-click rock firewall. Sometimes you can use it along with a-s-f space ability (speed), and run around npcs really quick, while casting the rock firewall around them.

I also use it in defensive situations, with shift instead of r-click, creating a firewall around you. And then create a meteor shower, lots of fun. The only problem are trolls with bombs, they can throw you out of it pretty quick.

The game requires lots of skill, which I really like.

It kind of reminds me of Guild Wars, back in the 55 W/Mo days. I used to play as a 55 Necromancer / Monk and go to the Underworld along with a 55 W/Mo. It was extremely challenging, but a ton of fun also. It required extreme patience and timing to keep skills up and running all the time.

It was $10... And the game is great... But they should have tested the damn thing before release.

I'm seeing a lot of posts like this one, and I can't help but think that if this had been published by EA or Ubisoft or Activision, people would be screaming bloody murder right now.

At any rate, three patches in three nights suggests sloppiness, and I think that any gamer has the right to say of a game such as this - whether it's published by EA, Ubisoft, or an independent publisher - that it's better to release a stable game than it is to release something that's buggy.

Granted, this is a new company, I believe. But you can only get away with this once...

Another thing that threw me off once I started playing the game...

Why is the game only partially translated? There is an English lector, but he seems to speak only in between the levels, and everything else is English text, and foreign (Icelandic? Just guessing...) voice overs.

Another thing that threw me off once I started playing the game...

Why is the game only partially translated? There is an English lector, but he seems to speak only in between the levels, and everything else is English text, and foreign (Icelandic? Just guessing...) voice overs.

kinda like the old nintendo games that used gobbledyspeak instead of true voice overs... gives the game a certain flair if you will

plus it leads itself to some very comedic situations :)

$$budget$$

not like it really detracts, there is not much to do in the game except kill stuff and pick up spell books (that I have seen so far)

I'm seeing a lot of posts like this one, and I can't help but think that if this had been published by EA or Ubisoft or Activision, people would be screaming bloody murder right now.
I'm not sure about how the Ubisoft and Activision partner programs work, but games published through the EA Partners program undergo a thorough QA process before release. If this game was published by EA, these issues probably would have been fixed long before release.

Back