magicjack

Rogue71

[H]ard|Gawd
well i got my little magicjack the other day, installed it on my whs, used a little program to run it an a service, and voila. works like a charm. i gotta say for the small investment this thing (so far) seems to be pretty damn awesome. im paying $30/month right now for a home phone on cable (no extra services). the mj cost me $39. i added a special extra 5 yr promo for another $69. added the $10 to get my Canadian area code. Total investment is roughly $120. (you need high speed internet but for me thats a nobrainer)so ill now have unlimited north american calls, caller id, 3 way calling, call waiting, and this kickass builtin internet answering machine that sends the frigging messages to your email for you.for 6 frigging years. this thing will pay for itself in 4 months. my boss doesnt have a server, so he bought a $300 netbook to use as dedicated magicjack computer. itll still pay for itself in less than a year as his phone bills were higher than mine. just as a side note, the only downside to this thing is that outside the us, the 911 service doesnt work. but there are other way around that. just thought id pass this along for anyone else that hates paying a ridiculous phone bill every month. its not a perfect product, but hell to me its worth giving it a go.
ps: and no i dont work for them. i just felt this product was worth mentioning.

I have one. PIcked it up in America, brought it back to Taiwan. Registered it and got an American phone number.

Now I can pick it up, dial a local number to my mom or family and talk as long as I want to. Works great.

I had one for 2 years as our home phone number. It was worth the money.

However, even with a DD-WRT router and QoS it would occasionally have issues - static, disconnected phone calls, echo, etc. Plus an occasional outage that their sucky customer service wouldn't admit to (instead they'd put you through a bunch of useless troubleshooting steps).

It was worth the money, but a bit flaky.

I picked up Ooma for $200 - $50 bing cashback and it is way better. Calls are not mysteriously dropped, no echo or static. I'm very impressed.

On amazon I said that MJ is a 3.5 star product and Ooma is a 5 star product. That about sums it up.

People will think that I own stock on this Company but I don't ;)... I own like 5 o 6 of this bad boys. :D

Like Rogue71 and so many folks now a days I was paying about 50 bucks for unlimited local calls, caller ID and that was it now I even have one as a land line and I told AT&T that I had decided that would no longer rape me a new one each month.

The small issues this thing could have are extremely small compare to the yearly savings.

I have an old laptop connected 24/7 -365 and I think the laptop have seen better days so from time to time it will shut down all on its own. There are other times when electricity goes out in the neighborhood, also, the cable/internet goes down but all those things are not the fault of the MJ.

I have yet to see a software so easy to connect and it couldn't been more plug & play.

You do need a fast internet 3mbit or more and a new phone (cordless is better).

I even went as far as to hook the MJ so any phone in any jack in the house can be use... I have 6 phones in the house. Hey, got 3 kids and a wife, what can I tell you. :rolleyes:

My initial investment has been around 120 bucks for 3 MJ's (and this was about 18 months ago), the rest was for family but they paid for it. AT&T was also raping me on International Long Distance calls... not no more!

I remember when this first hit the market. My friend bought one about three years ago and it was excellent. We used to laugh about how cheap his phone was. He still has the same phone number this very day. The infomercial is running on my TV right now.

I have one running on a thinclient for 24/7 operation. Seems to work ok...especially for the price. Some land lines with certain extensions have problems connecting, but for the most part it works great.

I'm interested in Ooma, but I haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.

the only downside about this device is that its dependent on the amount of available bandwidth

plus i accidentally broke off the usb connector so i'll have to solder it back on if i wanna reuse the device lol

Can I keep my current landline number?

NOT YET, BUT COMING SOON!

We are working to give you the option to transfer or "port" your existing local phone number to magicJack, for a nominal fee.

Last Update: Dec 18, 2009

this has been the only reason why i havent switched yet. Still pisses me off they kept promising it and even KEEP promising it today. Im also looking for a solution to a cheaper bill, i guess ill go check that ooma thing out, and if they dont have number porting well i guess im SOL.

Im using MJ as my primary phone for 1 yr. Other than little delay the speaker on the other side of the first word you speak, its a great product. Im running it 24/7 on a separate small pc.

Huh, five minutes ago before finding this thread "magicjack" to me was what the Celtics did to Orlando the previous round in the playoffs...

While I do agree that Magic Jack is cheaper over time, I just don't know if I can forsee them being around in five years time. Maybe that's just my general dislike for all things As Seen on TV. I use Skype with a PSTN adapter.

Back