Magic Leap Shows its AR Prowess Off...Finally...Maybe

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
The elusive and many times demo-faking Magic Leap is up for a live stream today on Twitch at 1pm CDT. All that said, we can all watch for ourselves and see if this thing is worth the $2B in investor money when it comes to revolutionizing the world of Augmented Reality as it has been promising for a while now.

Live stream.

A Closer Look at Magic Leap One - Wednesday, July 11 at 2pm ET - Alan Noon will be joined by Alan Kimball from our developer tools team to give a deeper dive into Magic Leap One. Then, Colman Bryant from our Interaction Lab will give us a demo of an upcoming sample we call “Dodge.”

Given how Magic Leap has "dodged" transparency over the years, I am not sure I would have gone with that name. All said, we will surely be watching.

They showed a game demo from 40 years ago and lost 400 viewers. Not off to a good start.

Interesting to see Graeme Devine. I remember meeting him when he worked on Quake III Arena.

And in segment one we saw absolutely NOTHING.

OK, Alan Kimball's background..... SWAP Force, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Skylanders: Lost Island, Skylanders:Battlegrounds, Spider-Man 3, Doom 3 XBox, Crash Nitro Kart, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and 3 GBA.

Tegra X2 chip on it.

The Tegra X2 was a mobile integrated graphics solution by NVIDIA, launched in January 2016. Built on the 16 nm process, and based on the GP10B graphics processor, in its Tegra X2 variant, the card supports DirectX 12.0. It features 256 shading units, 16 texture mapping units and 16 ROPs. The GPU is operating at a frequency of 854 MHz, which can be boosted up to 1465 MHz.

NVIDIA Tegra X2, a hex-core ARMv8 64-bit CPU complex, fully based on HMP configuration with quad-core ARM® Cortex A57 and dual-core Denver 2.

Full Vulkan support and the suggested API.

200K to 400K triangles per eye....Hmmm

Lumon OS based on Linux. 64-bit ARM

upload_2018-7-11_13-26-32.png

upload_2018-7-11_13-34-37.png

upload_2018-7-11_13-37-50.png

Last edited:
That guy talking with the striped shirt on the right. What's wrong with him. He keeps looking around and nodding as if he's asking "What I'm saying is right? Right? Anyone? Is this right!!!" He looks so stressed. He's making me stressed.

That guy talking with the striped shirt on the right. What's wrong with him. He keeps looking around and nodding as if he's asking "What I'm saying is right? Right? Anyone? Is this right!!!" He looks so stressed. He's making me stressed.

Looks like they put the screen with the cue cards on the ceiling. He keeps looking to the same spot up and to the left.

$2B later and this is the demo they are showing off. They just want to inspire creators, not actually create any content to show it off.

upload_2018-7-11_13-39-51.png

Gollem throws rocks and you can slap them out of the air....after you hand passes through it however...

upload_2018-7-11_13-43-15.png

I had gone to a Signal event a few years ago where they had Magic Leap there. Back then they were saying there was no device needed in front of your eyes, that it would tap into the "analog signal your eyes use from your brain". I know this isnt the exact quote.. but its obvious they have dropped that idea now. They had people on stage back then claiming they had tried a prototype of it. I didnt believe it then, I still dont :)

And what the fuck is going on with the set? Did their marking department determine their target audience likes bass guitars, speakers under chairs, and 70's decor?

This is such a waste of time. This feels more like "We've taken a shit-ton of money from people and done nothing with it and now they're getting angsty so fuck it we'll just show off whatever the fuck we have."

As soon as I saw this was taking place on twitch I got suspicious. No legit company does anything real on twitch. That, or Amazon gave them a shit-ton of cash to use their platform.

I'm really confused why this wasn't on YouTube as aren't they controlled/owned by Google for the most part? I know they invested the most into this and shocked that they haven't put more pressure on them to do something exciting with it.

Ah using the tried and true CastAR formula of doing the pitch looking like you just rolled out of bed and made the six foot trek into your messy cluttered living room.

I can't believe I just watched that entire thing. Wow was that bad. The same 3 videos 40000000 TIMES ON REPEAT. Christ.

2.3 BILLION invested into these guys over the last 7 years and this is what they show? You would think they would be just a tad further along than this by now.

They also could have moved this "talk" into someone's crappy garage and handed them all beers and they would have come across with pretty much the same uninspired, half-assed vibe. Color me unimpressed. And if I were an investor, very worried.

You would think that MagicLeap and Chris Roberts' Cloud Imperium Games would have found each other by now and merged. Someone should really set them up on a blind date.

I stayed away from this stream crap today. Thinking I could pop by here tonight and find 5 pages of back and forth. Not so much. lol

Everyone seems to see it coming though.... Roberts will announce SC will be another year at least while they add Magic Leap (you make the investment leap they make your $ disappear as if by Magic) support.

Seems like they're still developing some barebones, prerequisite APIs. Not exactly a good time to demo.

So, Magic leap can get this kind of funding and CAST AR cannot? Fuck this world. That's bullshit.

To think this guys started with a whale on a basketball court and a couple of years later they show this... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was hoping I would see many good and awesome comments about the new tech.

Glad I never invested.

Too bad about the tech I'd really like to see a good ar/vr product.

I would like something that emulates the feel of wearing old-timey VR-glasses from the 1990's.
Is that at all possible?

Back