Magic Leap One Is Available to Creators Starting at $2,295

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Creators can order their very own Magic Leap One starting at only $2,295. After ordering, a person will set the device up for you. I would assume that a person intelligent to write software for the device can set it up themselves. The device specifications are listed here and CNET was allowed to test the device.

There's just one thing: Regular folks like us aren't the intended audience. At least not yet. This "Creator Edition," says Abovitz, is part of a "controlled market release" in just a handful of cities in the United States for the developers and creative types Magic Leap will woo this year and next. The goal: for those makers to dream up the experiences (aka content) that's needed to convince us to become Leapers.

idk... im excited for vr and this kind of stuff ... looks like in a few years as long as people dont abandon the techs we should get some cool stuff. it reminds me alot of microsoft's holo project that i havnt heard about in a year or two

MagicTube, a free (ads) upload sight for funny videos of people using Magic Leap (we're gonna be rich!)

Sorry. I once again have to post this:

Goggles.png

The only good* application for this tech would be for it to overlay Tron graphics in say, a park, and allow people with frisbees to throw them at each other for points.

*I'm sure there are other good ones too, but that's the one I want. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
So, this is a new type of VR or AR headset, which instead of using little LCD screens, projects light straight into the eye?

Wonder how much the prescription lenses cost. At least they are smart enough to offer them. Assuming they aren't vaporwear.

I kind of don't understand these companies spending hundreds of millions of dollars on the hardware but won't also spend 50 +/- million on a dedicated, AAA app/game to go with the launch. Tech demos and crappy indie steam games simply aren't enough to get me to buy the hardware.

Way too expensive but then again so is the vive....... I'll never buy it....

Maybe do a focus group to see if people would want to be wearing the Aliens space jocky ship on their head.

These are basically the equivalent of Dev Kits. They're sending them out in limited quantities to very specific cities (most of which are technology centers in some way). I read that the goal with this was to get them into the hands of people that could develop content for the platform. I seriously doubt that the final price of the widely released hardware will be in the same ballpark. It will be at least somewhat closer to what we expect this sort of thing to cost. However, since it has its own computing CPU+Pascal GPU, it's doing a lot more than your typical headset within the package. That will account for a few hundred of the cost no doubt. The hardware is also a bit more unique on the optical side.

I'm personally not yet interested, but I'm glad people are pushing into these areas more. What would make me possibly choose this over some of the other things, is that it's not tethered to a big PC. However, I'm not sure how it would perform with the sort of games that people like us would be used to, or if it can even do that sort of thing at all. (seems more AR than VR which would save on full-scene graphics I'd think)

I think for my purposes a seated Vive experience would probably be more fun, but you never know. I'd love to try one of these at some point. I could see it being the "Ultimate Pokemon Go Experience" :p We'll eventually see people wearing these climbing into restricted areas, running through peoples' yards, etc. :D

I kind of don't understand these companies spending hundreds of millions of dollars on the hardware but won't also spend 50 +/- million on a dedicated, AAA app/game to go with the launch. Tech demos and crappy indie steam games simply aren't enough to get me to buy the hardware.

nintendo without Mario Bros would of died like the rest of the old expensive systems.

nintendo without Mario Bros would of died like the rest of the old expensive systems.
not true, they had Rob... selfish Mario stole his lightening

Just watched a review of this magic leap thing... doesn't look good, only a small step up from halolense it seems... nobody wants that

20 years from now we need contacts/glasses that do this much better than anything we have today (google glass+hallo lens + 8k + no eye damage + no eye strain + feels natural + minimal battery issues)

maybe some day we will have much better tech with less battery woes.

20 years from now we need contacts/glasses that do this much better than anything we have today (google glass+hallo lens + 8k + no eye damage + no eye strain + feels natural + minimal battery issues)

maybe some day we will have much better tech with less battery woes.

We'll just replace the eyes with multi-purpose direct optic nerve interfaces.

Back