Mag-lev keyboard

Unknown-One

[H]F Junkie
Thought you guys might want to see this: http://www.cnet.com/news/darfons-super-thin-maglev-keyboard-will-make-notebooks-even-slimmer/

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- It's pretty hard not to give this super-slim Maglev Keyboard some attention. Like Japanese bullet trains, the Darfon keyboard uses the magic of magnetism to do away with the standard rubber cups found on normal keyboards.

Since the Maglev lacks rubber cups, the keyboard is noticeably thinner too. On the demo notebook that the company set up to show off the slimness, the keys were so close to the notebook that it was quite hard to type with.

On the standalone keyboard, however, I found the pressure and "clickiness" to be just about right. Darfon says it is also able to tweak the resistance electronically, so the keys will have various degrees of pressure depending on the preferences of their customers.

Obviously, the Maglev won't have the feel of a mechanical keyboard, but it will help in making notebooks even skinnier. Perhaps the newly announced Asus Chi is using the technology in its super-thin keyboard dock, though that's speculation on my part.

Darfon's spokesperson declined to reveal which manufacturers have ordered the Maglev, but says that we will see notebooks with its technology some time in the second half of the year.

I'd be interested in a desktop version of this. If they can really modulate the magnetic fields that suspend the keys in real-time, this type of keyboard could emulate a wide range of switch types and key feels.

The biggest positive I see is the increase in positive force as the key is depressed, leaves nothing but soft cushion when trying to bottom out.

edit: oops, I think I got the wrong switch type, haha.

I know myself can't stand those micro key caps. Remind me of the same shitty ones on some of the razer keyboards.

The biggest positive I see is the increase in positive force as the key is depressed, leaves nothing but soft cushion when trying to bottom out.

edit: oops, I think I got the wrong switch type, haha.

Fat chicks?

I know myself can't stand those micro key caps. Remind me of the same shitty ones on some of the razer keyboards.
Yeah, I really don't care about seeing this in mobile devices.

I want to see someone attempt this with a normal desktop keyboard with full-travel keys. Being able to customize the exact actuation-force-curve to your liking is pretty compelling. If the magnets are strong enough, it could emulate the precise feel of other switches. Not only that, but you could change up the feel of the keyboard on a per-application basis (so you could have clicky keys while typing, and linear keys while gaming). You could even do crazy things like set your keys to be clicky during depression, with a 100% linear return.

This should also be safe from mechanical wear, as there aren't any physical parts to wear out. They can detect the position of the key using induction in the coil generating the magnetic field, so there's no need for any form of contact-point. Also means they can select exactly where they want the "actuation point" of the "switch" to be.

Back