Mafia Definitive Edition 4K gameplay trailer.

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness

Obviously looks so much better than the original, but it doesn't look that good compared to games like say GTA V.

Still, Mafia is one of my favorite games and I still play it from time to time. So I'll get this one.

looks pretty damn good. I want to get it day one, but I think I'll wait for reception. After all, I can play the original if this one ends up sucking. I like the graphics though, hell I liked the original graphics in 2002 and considered it life like back then.

paulie seems like kind of a pussy now though, while I used to think of him as Joe Pesci.

Unless it's redesigned (think RE2 to the recent RE2 Remake) then no thanks; the first Mafia really hasn't aged well mechanically.

Quality is highly suspect after playing the recently-released Mafia 2: Definitive Edition.

Expand a bit

I'm a huge mafia fan, I mean huge. I would build a gaming PC just to play this game.

The Mafia 2 Definitive Edition essentially just added some new textures and increased resolution support. Most of the bugs, mechanics issues, and clipping issues were still present.

Moreover, I also loved the game (and the original), but after going back to re-visit realized I had somewhat rose-colored glasses on -- they haven't aged well.

I'm skeptical. This is basically Mafia 3 with a Mafia1 skin, and Mafia 3 was terrible. Plus I don't like how some of the characters look and sound completely different. Paulie used to look like Peter Falk, not any more and now seems to be a whiny looser.

I'm skeptical. This is basically Mafia 3 with a Mafia1 skin, and Mafia 3 was terrible. Plus I don't like how some of the characters look and sound completely different. Paulie used to look like Peter Falk, not any more and now seems to be a whiny looser.
seriously... doesn't seem like a tough guy anymore. Seems like he should work at starbucks.

they killed Paulie....He used to look Joe Pesci which was sort of perfect.

the original with all the nice mods is still pretty good to play even with its faults.

They better not kill the original music though.

This looks pretty good but the framerate is blatantly ass in parts of this video

Obviously looks so much better than the original, but it doesn't look that good compared to games like say GTA V.

Still, Mafia is one of my favorite games and I still play it from time to time. So I'll get this one.

I think it looks notably better (graphically) than GTA V.

The only Mafia game I played was Mafia II, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit. I'm sure i'll pick this up and then play through the trilogy.

companies don't want demos because it shows off how bad the state of the game is. they need you to buy in now so they can mega patch day one.

The games you buy these days are more like beta's you have to pay for to play with all the early access crap going around.

companies don't want demos because it shows off how bad the state of the game is. they need you to buy in now so they can mega patch day one.

To be completely fair, demos did tie up extra development resources when needed the most during the pre-release crunch.
I suspect there are also distribution things on digital platforms to consider nowadays. With that said, I also miss demos.

I've never played any of the Mafia games before, but this looks pretty good to me. At least for a remaster of an older game. Is it essentially a GTA-type of game?

I've never played any of the Mafia games before, but this looks pretty good to me. At least for a remaster of an older game. Is it essentially a GTA-type of game?
As far as you can drive around a city and carjack people, yes.

I really hope freeride extreme will be in it. Unless the physics are shit. WTF am I saying it is Mafia3, the physics will be shit!

As far as you can drive around a city and carjack people, yes.

I really hope freeride extreme will be in it. Unless the physics are shit. WTF am I saying it is Mafia3, the physics will be shit!
Let’s not pretend the original physics were great either. Overall it looks fine, but I won’t be paying full price for it.

Let’s not pretend the original physics were great either. Overall it looks fine, but I won’t be paying full price for it.
For it's time the physics were great, it rivaled or even surpassed hardcore sims of the time in some aspects. Of course if you played with kb then it was not ideal, but if you played with a FF wheel, then it was insanely good for the period.

They confirmed the game runs on Mafia3 engine, and they even disabled speed limit enforcement by the police. Lame
Also they made the streets wider for casuals not to crash: even lamer.

Plus they are making narrative changes to be "more in tune with the times" we all know what that means : wokeness.

They confirmed the game runs on Mafia3 engine, and they even disabled speed limit enforcement by the police. Lame

Plus they are making narrative changes to be "more in tune with the times" we all know what that means : wokeness.

So dumbed down for Generation Console...

_sigh_. I really hope this "wokeness" doesn't ruin the game.

I know there were similar complaints about Mafia 3 and I actually enjoyed that game and thought the devs did a _really_ good job of creating the setting and evoking the appropriate politics/sentiments for the time period in that game. I never once felt like things happened in that game purely for the sake of "wokeness".

Let's hope they are similarly dedicated to maintaining the authentic setting for this remake of Mafia 1.

_sigh_. I really hope this "wokeness" doesn't ruin the game.

I know there were similar complaints about Mafia 3 and I actually enjoyed that game and thought the devs did a _really_ good job of creating the setting and evoking the appropriate politics/sentiments for the time period in that game. I never once felt like things happened in that game purely for the sake of "wokeness".

Let's hope they are similarly dedicated to maintaining the authentic setting for this remake of Mafia 1.
We can hope, but the mafia 3 engine already means the game is a bust to me. Mafia3 was just bad period. Repetitive, derivative and extremely boring.
What little concrete change they revealed is that Sarah will get a more prominent role in the game, probably every good thing Tommy did will be attributed to her.

Mafia3 was just bad period. Repetitive, derivative and extremely boring.

I didn't feel that way, but granted I don't play many games (especially open world) these days so my standards are probably pretty low to begin with.

I found the setting and time period very engaging in Mafia 3. The gameplay loop worked for me and the story was interesting enough to where I even bought all the DLCs later. By contrast, I found RDR2 to become an absolute chore to play as it seemd to just drag on and wasn't nearly as interested in the characters there - chalk it up to differences in opinion I guess.

I didn't feel that way, but granted I don't play many games (especially open world) these days so my standards are probably pretty low to begin with.

I found the setting and time period very engaging in Mafia 3. The gameplay loop worked for me and the story was interesting enough to where I even bought all the DLCs later. By contrast, I found RDR2 to become an absolute chore to play as it seemd to just drag on and wasn't nearly as interested in the characters there - chalk it up to differences in opinion I guess.
I absolutely agree, RDR2 is worse than Mafia3. But imo they are both bad just different levels of bad.

I absolutely agree, RDR2 is worse than Mafia3. But imo they are both bad just different levels of bad.

I found RDR2 to be far better than Mafia 3. Not that I'm saying it was perfect, Mafia 3 was just a lazy game throughout with a horrific game engine.

I never played Mafia 1/2, but some of these changes seem underwhelming. I can see the speed limit being annoying but I assume it added some flair to make it standout from all the other games that feature car driving. And changing the narrative? Meh. I just hope it sounds and is written as if it were in the time period it was in, not in 2020.

If the Mafia 3 guys are handling this, I suppose we can prepare for a let down.

I found RDR2 to be far better than Mafia 3. Not that I'm saying it was perfect, Mafia 3 was just a lazy game throughout with a horrific game engine.

I never played Mafia 1/2, but some of these changes seem underwhelming. I can see the speed limit being annoying but I assume it added some flair to make it standout from all the other games that feature car driving. And changing the narrative? Meh. I just hope it sounds and is written as if it were in the time period it was in, not in 2020.

If the Mafia 3 guys are handling this, I suppose we can prepare for a let down.
RDR2 is a better made game, but more boring than Mafia3, it's a chore to play, and the story and characters are absolutely uninteresting.

As for Mafia the speed limit was one of the many things differentiating it from GTA, it was never meant to be this crazy no-nonsense thing, it was always about realism and the narrative. But you still had free-ride extreme if you wanted to go crazy. In story mode unless you were being chased or chasing someone driving crazy was punished by the game, and that's all right. You could always bribe police if you were caught slightly speeding, so it wasn't distruptive to the game, and you could turn on the speed limiter to never accidentally exceed the limit on critical missions.

Unfortunately the cutscenes they shown in the trailers already feel worse than original, especially Paulie's character was cuckified to hell.

Damn shame, I really loved the original mafia games.

Back