Made the mistake of paying a home-theater company for a bunch of garbage. Help me replace/redesign half of it so it doesn't suck.

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
Stuff that must go:
Everything labeled Control4. Garbage top to bottom. Is there an automation system out there that doesn't suck?
REL HT/1508 subwoofer. Garbage. Junk. Dead after 8 months. Need something better, similar quality and price ($2k or so). The HT/1508 is pretty large, and this is a large room. Something that lasts longer than 8 months would be a major plus too.
Arcam AVR550. Utter shit. Never buy anything electronic from the brits - fucking morons have never known how to make anything that doesn't just suck ass. Need something equal, that can at least do something other than dolby digital (I blame the installer on that part, but the constant dying and power-cycle required reboots to fix video is annoying as fuck and I definitely blame Arcam for that). I'll find someone that has a clue to do the tuning for the speaker positions.
HDMI over ethernet balun - see below for specs (4k/60, ~30 ft).

Needs to support full HDR 4k. TV is fine - new sony 85" something or another. Fronts, mids, and rears are quality Bowers and Wilkins kit. Wiring seems sane at least, minus the HDMI Balun they totally fucked up (and switched to eARC for some god-unknown reason to try and make work).

Stuff that must go:
Everything labeled Control4. Garbage top to bottom. Is there an automation system out there that doesn't suck?
REL HT/1508 subwoofer. Garbage. Junk. Dead after 8 months. Need something better, similar quality and price ($2k or so). The HT/1508 is pretty large, and this is a large room. Something that lasts longer than 8 months would be a major plus too.
Take a look at SVS, Great subs,

Arcam AVR550. Utter shit. Never buy anything electronic from the brits - fucking morons have never known how to make anything that doesn't just suck ass. Need something equal, that can at least do something other than dolby digital (I blame the installer on that part, but the constant dying and power-cycle required reboots to fix video is annoying as fuck and I definitely blame Arcam for that). I'll find someone that has a clue to do the tuning for the speaker positions.
HDMI over ethernet balun - see below for specs (4k/60, ~30 ft).

Needs to support full HDR 4k. TV is fine - new sony 85" something or another. Fronts, mids, and rears are quality Bowers and Wilkins kit. Wiring seems sane at least, minus the HDMI Balun they totally fucked up (and switched to eARC for some god-unknown reason to try and make work).

Look at Crutchfield.com for some components, HDMI 2,1 is what you want. A lot of stuff is out of stock right now because of Covid home upgrade fever.

For the subs SVS and HSU Research
For the Reciever
Marantz
SR6015 9.2
SR7015 9.2
Denon
AVR X-4700H 9.2

I’m a custom installer. I hate control 4 , place I contract for part time uses it and I have never seen them get it to work properly. I personally use Logitech Harmony Hub. Works really well, integrates with most anything. Had it doing my full theater , htpc and lights. Also will work with Alexa so you can do voice commands. Use that for cool factor when new people come over and I can be like Alex open the theater and all the light come on and all the equipment.
Subs are you handy at all? Diy subs are the best bang for the buck period. GSG sub boxes are CNC boxes with number instructions on how to build. Super easy and for 2k you could do 2 Marty subs with a inuke 6000 watt amp.
If not DIY the other brands people have stated are good. I would also look at the Monoprice Monolith line of subs. They are really great subs for the money.

As far as a receiver I personally have a Marantz 6011. The new ones are nice butt they haven’t added much to them over mine. Definitely invest in a cooler for it. I would get one from AC infinity. Mine works great and keeps my receiver nice and cool. The new receivers have issues with the HDMI controllers and boards over heating. How much you looking to spend on the receiver? Also you going to be running Atoms? How many channels? Like I use mine as a prepro/amp , have 3 crown DSI 1000s for the front LCR , outlaw 5000 for the 4 surrounds , and the Marantz runs the 4 Atmos.

I’m a custom installer. I hate control 4 , place I contract for part time uses it and I have never seen them get it to work properly. I personally use Logitech Harmony Hub. Works really well, integrates with most anything. Had it doing my full theater , htpc and lights. Also will work with Alexa so you can do voice commands. Use that for cool factor when new people come over and I can be like Alex open the theater and all the light come on and all the equipment.
Subs are you handy at all? Diy subs are the best bang for the buck period. GSG sub boxes are CNC boxes with number instructions on how to build. Super easy and for 2k you could do 2 Marty subs with a inuke 6000 watt amp.
If not DIY the other brands people have stated are good. I would also look at the Monoprice Monolith line of subs. They are really great subs for the money.

As far as a receiver I personally have a Marantz 6011. The new ones are nice butt they haven’t added much to them over mine. Definitely invest in a cooler for it. I would get one from AC infinity. Mine works great and keeps my receiver nice and cool. The new receivers have issues with the HDMI controllers and boards over heating. How much you looking to spend on the receiver? Also you going to be running Atoms? How many channels? Like I use mine as a prepro/amp , have 3 crown DSI 1000s for the front LCR , outlaw 5000 for the 4 surrounds , and the Marantz runs the 4 Atmos.
When it comes to anything most folks would consider "handy", I'm like a hand grenade in an orphanage. You want me nowhere NEAR a saw, hammer, etc. Around computers and electronics? Sure. Datacenter design? Absolutely.

Sadly, subs cross over - not a good idea. I also do cake and baked goods.

Goal is eventually 7.1.2, most likely (room doesn't play well with 7.1.4) -

Back