Maddening Windows 2000 shutdown problems

twyztyr

Gawd
This same problem happens on three different systems at random times. Hardware wise, two of the systems are basically the same (Barton 2500+, Abit NF7 family mobo, Kingston RAM), and the third is an older Toshiba P3 laptop.

After using the computers for a while (it doesn't matter what you're doing), they'll start getting amazingly sluggish. I check the task manager and there will be processes listed that are no longer running and had been closed long before, such as 14 IE processes, 5 BTdownloadgui processes. If I elect to manually end each process, sometimes it stops and is removed from the list, sometimes it isn't. The hell of it is, I can have no open applications, but still have a shitload of open processes.

After this happens, if I try to reboot, shutdown, or log off, the screen darkens like normal, and doesn't do anything. If I click the mouse, the screen comes back to normal and the system won't do anything. It doesn't freeze, I can still move the mouse cursor, but I can't actualy click on anything or do anything else.

I never had this problem before about 2 weeks ago, but there isn't one common thing I did to any of the three machines aside from apply Windows Updates. One of the Barton machines has a brand new installation of Windows 2000 on it, so it's not Windows rot, and I'm never running the same sets of applications on any of the machines when it happens, and it happens at random times. I'm absolutely stumped. Anyone have any ideas? If you have questions, go ahead and ask away.

It sounds to me like you've got virus or spyware problems. Try a spyware cleaner and make sure you've got a virus scanner. Just a guess.

Already done both. I actually downloaded the newest version of spybot again, reinstalled it, and ran it, it found some cookies but nothing else. I also have the most updated virus definitions possible, as of about 2 hours ago. I update and run that once a week and I have spybot set to run once a week as well. There's not a lot that gets through here, but something's going on that's really pissing me off. Maybe I just need to set the damn thing on fire. Probably won't solve the problem, but I'll feel better. ;)

Bit torrent. I have the same problem. I uninstalled it, no problems.

I used azareus BT client.

Hmm...it worked fine up until about 2 weeks ago. I'll give it a shot. Is there any client that doesn't fuck things up?

Back