Mad Catz® amBX™ Gaming Lights for PC $29.99

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
seems to me like they are abandoning the product and will not support it so they want to clear inventory

These would be great with a hacked driver set. Might be worth a $30 gamble to see if one ever surfaces.

Thanks, I just bought a set. I've been wanting to try these out for years now, but didnt want to risk $100. For $30 with free shipping, I'll take a chance.

Can you hook these up to just be sound senstive? So they basically dance to music without a PC?

Thinking they might be fun IMAX type speaker highlights behind an acoustic transparent screen.

Thanks OP! Have always wanted a pair but not for full price. Picked up a set @ $30 :).

Free Ground Shipping too!

I used the original Philips AMBX lights and then upgraded to the MadCatz ones a few years ago.

They are one of the coolest, most immersive products I've ever had.

The problem is that they hit the OS/API wall around the time Windows XP / DX9 was starting to give way to Win7/DX10+

They worked great with Guild Wars 1 and Bad Company 2 but BF3 and Guild Wars 2 never supported them and they have performance issues with Valve games and unless you play older games or know for sure your game is supported, you're in for a rough ride.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Lightpack/ is a modernized version of the same idea and it looks like http://www.ambivision.tv/ is a hardware only solution with a lot of promise.

The ambivision looks amazing, so preorder is still via indigogo? It seems the campaign has ended but they are middle of shipping orders out.

so what do you guys think? Is this worth the buy? Are there any hacked drivers for modern games?

so what do you guys think? Is this worth the buy? Are there any hacked drivers for modern games?

I bought these back when philips were getting rid of them. Honestly I don't recommend it and just wait for one the newer technologies if this interests you. The lack of support and outdated drivers makes this thing useless for newer games.

I bought these back when philips were getting rid of them. Honestly I don't recommend it and just wait for one the newer technologies if this interests you. The lack of support and outdated drivers makes this thing useless for newer games.

exactly what I needed to know lol

I really thought about buying these when they were phillips, but glad I didn't now. The only thing I can see this being good for is a HTPC. I'd assume you can watch movies with the effect on right?

I have a set of these as well. When they worked, I loved it. They've been in a box since I stopped playing Rift a couple years ago.

I was an early adopter for lightpack.tv only to find out that it doesn't work under WMC.

Got my lights today and trying to get them to work with Windows 10. Not having much luck, downloaded the drivers and software from the website. When I plug the lights in they will light up, some times they show up in the configure hardware window and I can test them. I was able to set up custom things like having them flash when you open a window or minimize etc. My games show up as it being active but the lights do not light up for the games and the lights dont work for music thru WMP. I've tried plugging the lights into every usb port on my PC. I know they only cost 30 bucks and support is crappy but I really like the idea of ambiance lighting and would love to get these working.

I know some people mentioned get the beta drivers, not sure if that would help or not though

If the drivers for the amBX work, try using Ambibox for screen capture. That's what I use for my Lightpack. It works well for desktop and video capture. Game capture can cause slowdowns or crashing though. I usually set my Lightpack to plain white for games (0% resource utilization).

This is the first time I have ever seen this type of accessory. It looks amazing for an immersive experience. I will definitely be looking more into this.

I got mine a few days ago and they are pretty useless. Work well in fallout 3, don't work in any newer games. You have to stop and start services to get many games to even launch properly with our without support.

The one 3rd party program I found to make them work for all games uses screen capture software so you take a big performance hit.

I'm looking into making them work with the use of a webcam or maybe directx getpixel commands and an avg rgb but been a while since I have done any programming.

To be honest I was expecting a much larger mod community for these. All the ambx forums are dead with most posts being several years old.

I got mine a few days ago and they are pretty useless. Work well in fallout 3, don't work in any newer games. You have to stop and start services to get many games to even launch properly with our without support.

The one 3rd party program I found to make them work for all games uses screen capture software so you take a big performance hit.

I'm looking into making them work with the use of a webcam or maybe directx getpixel commands and an avg rgb but been a while since I have done any programming.

To be honest I was expecting a much larger mod community for these. All the ambx forums are dead with most posts being several years old.

Dang, that is a bummer.

I have to admit they are cool still. I don't regret the purchase. Really fun in fallout 3.

If you want to use these for movies then they would be great. Games are hit or miss, mostly miss.

Back