Mad Catz Cyborg amBX Gaming Lights

Those would drive me NUTS. I got a headache just watching the video.
I DO like backlighting though. I think that it reduces eye strain and just looks cool. I would rather just get these. Especially seeing as the Mad Catz is $100.

i bought them, used them for a week, and now they sit unplugged because they don't work with bf3. That, and it takes up 2 USB ports. FUCKER. it's 10% off with free shipping. I paid $114 shipped for mine.

I DO like backlighting though. I think that it reduces eye strain and just looks cool. I would rather just get these. Especially seeing as the Mad Catz is $100.

LOL, I think it looks nice when syncing with the game background color.

i bought them, used them for a week, and now they sit unplugged because they don't work with bf3. That, and it takes up 2 USB ports. FUCKER. it's 10% off with free shipping. I paid $114 shipped for mine.

They just released a beta software to make it works with BF3, that's why I consider it. Perhaps you might wanna give it a try again. ;)

http://www.ambx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4280

Wow...that would give me a such a headache.
Do these things actualy bring value to the game? make it more immersive?

Wow...that would give me a such a headache.
Do these things actualy bring value to the game? make it more immersive?

yes there is proven response to eye strain/perception, definitely legitimate value in it. I just don't understand the price point, why does it cost $100 for a bunch of cheap leds and some palette tracking software on a usb interface. I saw some diy project on google apps that did this with a bunch of leds and a generic ic, and some custom oss for at most a few bucks in parts.

fucking stupid for them to be marketing toward rich "high end gamers" since it's really more useful to mainstream users. I wouldn't hesitate to buy at a $40-50 price point. this is like a more advanced version of the backlight concept, that matches ambient colors with your desktop/app palettes in real time.

Same technology Philips used for their Ambilight models of TV.. leds in the back of TV, changing colors and such according to movie or tv show.

the old AmBX setups were cooler and less clunky than that. And cheaper?

And they used to include little fans along with the LED lights! I almost bought an older AmBX set I found on eBay for $100.00 about a year ago. The fans seem like they'd be really cool, especially for racing games.

the old AmBX setups were cooler and less clunky than that. And cheaper?

I have the old ambx kit before the company was sold on, it was cheap at the time as they were dumping stock which meant it was good value for money, it's not something I kept long term though, after several months of them they ended up being dumped in the cupboard, they're fantastic for certain things like adding mood lighting, the one things I remember best was L4D1/2 when the whole screen gets coloured with a certain hue when you're playing the infected and that would light up behind the monitor.

it worked well for MMOs as well, where the zones all tend to have their own unique colour/feel to them like green for swamp and purple for elf forest or whatever, that worked very well.

Basically a bit of a novelty you may just get bored of, but well worth trying if they're cheap like mine were.

Those look great, but they're far too much money..

I could also see it becoming a novelty, but the immersion certainly looks significant.

They are pretty well built and would use them more often if I had more room on my desk. Especially now that they work with BF3.

Those ikea lights wouldn't be ideal for bias lighting. 6500K lights with as high CRI as possible are generally recommended for bias lighting. Those ikea lights are only 2700K. They would look very yellow.

I just have a small desktop spotlight behind my monitor. It has a soft white bulb. Works well.

While I agree it would be nice if it's at the $50 price point, it's a new product so well, early adopters pay the price. Gonna order them tonight to try it out :D

FYI, these Cyborg lights really grow on you in BF3.

They really create an ambient atmostphere which features the ambient colors that surround you, and they really highlight lighting and shadow effects as you move through the game environment. It's pretty bad ass, imo.

Kind of cool while watching video or TV in Windows Media Center too.

Back