MacWorld Discussion Thread (Mac Mini!)

i just realized something.
while the mac mini is certainly cheap for a mac...and VERY cheap for something that small..(japan will love it)
you can do alot better with mini-ATX these days. then put linux on it and you have a better and/or cheaper box thats only flaw is that its bigger in size.

im not sure it would be better and or cheaper.

id rather have the mac, and all the apple software and support. as im sure everyone else in this forum would.

omega-x said:
while the mac mini is certainly cheap for a mac...and VERY cheap for something that small..(japan will love it)
you can do alot better with mini-ATX these days. then put linux on it and you have a better and/or cheaper box thats only flaw is that its bigger in size.

but then you gotta use shitty windows...

bigeek.gif

omega-x said:

And then you can buy a rusty 1979 Honda Accord, throw out the seats and sell them, put in a larger engine, a few neon lights and some fins, and claim you have a better and cheaper car than the $5000 BMW that was just announced. :rolleyes:

ah I see, I've already had enough exictement with the $500 mac today, you didn't need to get me going with a $5000 BMW

im liking this alot, finding a budget for it, although what i did notice guys

its an ibook without a screen, which isnt bad at all. Im still getting their top of the line one.

Now all they need is a cheaper lcd :) that fits exactly on top of it...drools.

Kaos said:
im liking this alot, finding a budget for it, although what i did notice guys

its an ibook without a screen, which isnt bad at all. Im still getting their top of the line one.

Now all they need is a cheaper lcd :) that fits exactly on top of it...drools.

My fiancee just ordered this and a Dell LCD (she got the widescreen one)

her assimilation is complete. I can marry her now. :D

deathBOB said:
but then you gotta use shitty windows...

I'm amused at how little forum readers actually *read* The replied poster saidto install Linux. Holy zealotry, batman.

Yes, I'm a PC user, and yes, I'm buying a minimac, but shit, you guys take it waaaaay to personally.

mwarps said:
I'm amused at how little forum readers actually *read* The replied poster saidto install Linux. Holy zealotry, batman.

Yes, I'm a PC user, and yes, I'm buying a minimac, but shit, you guys take it waaaaay to personally.

You all have to realize, that most of us don't buy Macs for the hardware, we dont want linux. OSX and all the Mac apps are what we're all addicted too.

Garage81 said:
You all have to realize, that most of us don't buy Macs for the hardware, we dont want linux. OSX and all the Mac apps are what we're all addicted too.

Macs without Mac OS X is like... uh... I can't think of a good metaphore, but it really is pointless. We don't pay the premium to get a nicely designed box. That's just a plus.

This is a marvel of engineering, and one of the coolest, most effective price/quality products concieved by mankind.

Although $450 for 1gb is pure bullshit :D

Note: Only apple or an authorized service center can put in ram. I doubt youll be able to get the box apart at home without hacking the case up.

The ipod shuffle will play songs in order, its one of the selections. How you could pick and choose your own songs to go in its limited space then not know what they were is beyond me. Weighs less than an ounce. That in itself = win.

Yes, the mac mini uses a notebook hard drive, for the guy who asked.

meelk said:
Yes, the mac mini uses a notebook hard drive, for the guy who asked.
Thanks. I had a 7200RPM drive put in my powerbook, but kept its original. If the mini's hard drive is less than that, I might try swapping the drives depending on how easy the mini's case comes off. We'll see.

Garage81 said:

I bet they'd make a killing if they released all that for the PC. Finally somone to eat away at Microsofts share.

Archer75 said:
I bet they'd make a killing if they released all that for the PC. Finally somone to eat away at Microsofts share.

It kinda serves as a catalyst to sell their hardware, so its unlikely that it would happen anytime soon.

I'm very interested in these things. I'll prob end up getting one next month if you can get one then. School books are just eating away at my cash flow too much this month. I'm almost wondering though if you get one of these and add some ram it would make a nice small server.

as soon as I hear a few first hand experiences with the mac mini, I will buy. I hope the ram is self installable...

This purchase will complete my switch..I've been waiting to finish building my new MP system, but for the same price, I can get the mini, which has more appeal for me. Finally my 17" LCD will be put to some use.

omega-x said:

I'd say no.

If been looking to build a media/test server for home use (I'm a webdeveloper). Since it will have to go into my appartment, it has to be very small an very quiet. What I think after quite some research is that there are two options for a case that size (e.g. Casetronic Travla 136):

VIA EPIA boards are quiet but have very low performance compared to most machines. Total price with stuff similar to the small Mac Mini - 40Gig HD, 256MB RAM - around 500€.

Pentium M boards have comparable power to the Mac Mini, but are noisier in cases that small, even though being M versions. Board and CPU are about 150€ more than the integrated EPIA solution. Total price around 650€.

So the Mac Mini wins hands down in regards to speed, noise and price. I'm happy I waited a few more days with the mini ITX purchase.

And you can install Linux, too!

//edit: I hope it's as quiet as Apple claims. Looking forward for the first reviews.

mwarps said:

Lol, you are right... someone usually comes in and says XXX PC is better blah blah and then I say haha, you have to use shitty windows...

:p

It's not like Linux is really any better than Windows for desktop usage. Sure, no viruses, but not a proper UI... AIDS or cancer, take your pick! I'll stick with paying a few dozen dollars more and get a Mac, thank-you-very-much! ;)

Back