MacWorld 2004 San Francisco 2004 Thread

fibroptikl

Supreme [H]ardness
MacWorld 2004 San Francisco 2004 Thread

What happened?

Apple gives away a free "1984" poster.

Demoed Panther briefly

Announced Final Cut Express 2

Announced Microsoft Office 2004; coming in a few months.

Discusses VirginiaTech and the supercluster.

Which sets up to introduce Xserve G5. Lots of technical info. Click the link.

And ... Xserve RAID.

Billboard Hot 100 charts being added to iTunes. Available today.

Adding 12,000 classical tracks being added to iTunes.

Goes over Apple & Pepsi promotion. Kicks off during SuperBowl where Pepsis will be running a commercial

iLife 04 is launched. Includes iTunes 4.2

iPhoto 4 includes improved scrolling and resizing speed which is very impressive. Supports up to 25,000 photos with zero waiting, time based organization, Smart Albums, enhanced slideshow, Rendevous photo sharing. Improved Sepia.

iMovie 4 has ability to trim clips right in the timeline, new alignment guides, iSight import, improved titles, and improved sharing. Direct iMovie to iDisk/.Mac clip sharing.

iDVD 4 announced. 20 new Hollywood quality themes, enhanced menus, enhancedslideshows, pro-encoding added, and Apple upped up the time on DVD to two hours.

New App: GarageBand; pro-music tool for everyone.

Musical instrument and recording studio that digitally mix up to 64 tracks, play over 50 instruments, over 1,000 professional audio loops, record live audio performances, over 200 pro quality audio effects, vintage or moder guitar amps. Includes easy export to iTunes feature.

John Mayer comes on stage to help demo GarageBand.

iLife 04 is $45 & free w/ every new Mac. Run on both Panther & Jaguar and is avaiilable January 16th.

GarageBand add-ons: JGarageBand Jam Pack (includes over 100 more software instruments, over 2000 more loops, 15 more guitar amps. $99 - Available January 16th.

$99 MIDI Keyboard from M-Audio announced.

iPod 10GB space bumped up to 15GB.

Apple offers new In-Ear Headphones.

iPod mini: 4GB, 1000 songs, .5 inches thick Size of a business card, colors, available February.

The midi keyboard is $99.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...elVPfE1VfMFQuK/0.0.7.1.0.5.21.1.8.1.2.0.0.1.0

I was pretty impressed by the GarageBand demo, my friend plays the guitar and GB is going to floor him, too bad he doesn't have a Mac. I was really expecting (and hoping for) a 2gig mini though.:(
I like the updated iLife but was Sepia really a big deal? I don't have a OS X Mac so I don't know what the deal was, IMO I really didn't like the look of it. I found it alittle fun when Jobs was showing the price of everything compared to iLife he used Musicmatch and not iTunes for Windows. Hell iLife alone almost makes we want to go and get a 20' iMac! But the headphones I could get a pair of Sennheisers for the same price...then agian the headphones come with that cool remote so it's an even tie.

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
The midi keyboard is $99.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...elVPfE1VfMFQuK/0.0.7.1.0.5.21.1.8.1.2.0.0.1.0

I was pretty impressed by the GarageBand demo, my friend plays the guitar and GB is going to floor him, too bad he doesn't have a Mac. I was really expecting (and hoping for) a 2gig mini though.:(
I like the updated iLife but was Sepia really a big deal? I don't have a OS X Mac so I don't know what the deal was, IMO I really didn't like the look of it. I found it alittle fun when Jobs was showing the price of everything compared to iLife he used Musicmatch and not iTunes for Windows.
Yes, I too was looking forward to perhaps a 2GB iPod mini that was cheaper; and a cheaper base price for the 4GB model; but that didn't happen. Still is spiffy, and if I didn't have an iRiver IFP-190T 256MB that did it's job; I would order an iPod mini. So that is off the list.

GarageBand was my favorite. And considering it is bundled with iLife, and iLife being free with any new Mac; I kind of wish I had a Mac again.

And he only used MusicMatch so he could add the price; so the price came out higher and made iLife 04 look like a good value (and it still is).

Macworld was a pretty big downer. I went over this afternoon with a few friends and it was depressing. About a third of the people there didn't have jobs, so most of the sales staff at the booths were pretty upset that they weren't selling much and instead fielding inquiries about positions. Very little free stuff from the vendors, either, not even pens, buttons, etc. There were only three bright spots in my mind, the new Xserve, some company that makes acoustic insulated racks with heatpipes on top, and seeing my friends, some of whom I've not had a chance to hang out with for several months. In a lot of ways this is a perfect reflection of the industry, no killer apps, high unemployment, low user interest, and evolutionary hardware.

Back