Macs Could Jump to ARM in 2020

There are some hilarious dreams people in this thread have. Intel and AMD must be incompetent as the might of Apple ARM is laughing at them on all fronts. They are just stunned.

You do realize there is a HUGE engineering penalty paid for x86 instruction backwards compatibility that ARM doesn't have, right off the bat? Frankly it's amazing what performance Intel has gotten out of their internal house of cards. What I get wistful over is what they could do if they didn't have to worry about all that literal crap in there gumming stuff up.

...Now if everything ran on UWP (Universal Windows Platform) it would be a much better situation as pseudo code (intermediate language) is compiled at load time and optimized for the platform in particular. But Apple runs mostly native code still on the desktop. They really don't have an equivalent of a UWP. But even if they did have something like a UAP (Universal Apple Platform) you would need to convince developers to flock to it.

Um, Apple's been doing it for years - see bitcode: https://seekingalpha.com/article/32...ependence-and-future-proofing-the-apple-watch

Apple's already transitioned architectures completely for their desktop OS - Motorola 68K to Power PC then PowerPC to Intel x86. Internally ever since the iPhone they have supported Intel x86 and ARM concurrently. There is no one on the planet that has more real world experience at running multiple hardware architectures concurrently.

I can guarantee you, as a Mac user as long as an app is abandonware an ARM based Mac laptop wouldn't impact me in the slights. Well, other than being faster, using less power and not generating as much heat. Nothing special ;)

It's called speculation...
How dare we use critical thinking with thoughts and ideas based on history and modern technological capabilities to speculate on potential future technologies. :rolleyes:
Some people are so trapped and caught up in the here and now. They can't see the forest through the trees.

Oh, you may speculate all you want. Claiming is a different beast.
I claimed it. So what? I linked to benchmarks also. The A11 (nevermind the A12) is within 10% of a quad core Haswell based i5. That is a fact. And in fact if I wanted to cherry pick I'm sure I could find a Haswell i5 that is in fact slower than an A11.

You are in denial. And you have nothing to back up your statements aside from conjecture and bravado. I see right through it.

You do realize there is a HUGE engineering penalty paid for x86 instruction backwards compatibility that ARM doesn't have, right off the bat?
There isn't a huge penalty.

I claimed it. So what? I linked to benchmarks also. The A11 (nevermind the A12) is within 10% of a quad core Haswell based i5. That is a fact. And in fact if I wanted to cherry pick I'm sure I could find a Haswell i5 that is in fact slower than an A11.

You are in denial. And you have nothing to back up your statements aside from conjecture and bravado. I see right through it.
The Apple A11 CPU is as fast as a full blown desktop Intel Core i5.
We're still waiting for proof of this bold claim. Synthetic tests on a castrated I5 fall short of it.

Um, Apple's been doing it for years - see bitcode: https://seekingalpha.com/article/32...ependence-and-future-proofing-the-apple-watch

Apple's already transitioned architectures completely for their desktop OS - Motorola 68K to Power PC then PowerPC to Intel x86. Internally ever since the iPhone they have supported Intel x86 and ARM concurrently. There is no one on the planet that has more real world experience at running multiple hardware architectures concurrently.

I can guarantee you, as a Mac user as long as an app is abandonware an ARM based Mac laptop wouldn't impact me in the slights. Well, other than being faster, using less power and not generating as much heat. Nothing special ;)

I'm not going to get into it.

backwards compatibility requires them to maintain more transistors

I'd agree that the increase in transistors/power/heat exists, but generally disagree on the scope. Pretty much every architecture decodes instructions, so the instruction set is less relevant to code running than it is to it running efficiently on a particular arch.

There isn't a huge penalty.

We're still waiting for proof of this bold claim. Synthetic tests on a castrated I5 fall short of it.
Feel free to come up with a better cross platform benchmark. AFAIK one does not exist.

Geekbench seems like a pretty good test to me. I'm not too sure why you get to throw direct evidence out the window and then we are all supposed to accept your conjecture as fact. That doesn't work with me. It screams of bias and subjectivity quite frankly.

Moto 68000-> Power PC->x86->ARM

Each time it has been extremely paintful for the mac community. I expect this to be no different. I realize this is towards their universal operating system platform. While a single platform for every computing device makes sense in terms of maintenance and app crossover, it's a pipe dream. Even Microsoft is failing with the x86 to ARM emulators and slow performance, or we all would be running Windows ARM. It's obvious Steve Jobs has left the house.

There is a massive difference between MS and apple. If apple were trying to port all phones to x86 lets say atom, that would be a big problem. A total reset of their application base. But that's not what is going on here apple is talking about converting their entire laptop / desktop line to ARM. Since apple currently holds less than a 10% market share and since apple has a notoriously accepting customer base there is much less of an issue. Combine that with the reality that there are tons of applications that aren't on macs, and a ton of applications that are on ios, you have a pretty good incentive to make it happen. You don't even have to hit top performance it just has to be passable. Afterall apple managed to not update a model for more than 5 years and their customers didn't even notice.

Windows conversion to ARM is painful because their entire strength in terms of applications is developed for win32. Second MS doesn't have a customer base that just rolls over and accepts whatever they do, look at windows 10 and that backlash, and windows 8, look at windows store. MS just isn't willing to do what it takes to force its customers into the future apple is. That is why apple can succeed where MS failed. Its not a pipe dream its pretty doable as was already pointed out they have done it a couple times before apple has the best customer base of any large tech company to take the pain.

Last edited:
Back