macOS 12 Monterey worth it yet?

UnknownSouljer

[H]F Junkie
Basically the title.

I primarily compute on a maxed out 2019 MacBook Pro 15.4" w/ an eGPU. Just wondering if all the glitches have been smoothed out or if I should just stick with Big Sur for the foreseeable future.
I use this machine primarily for productivity, so I don't want to move over if it's not stable. But that also goes hand in hand with getting the latest security updates.

Personally I think it's fine, no show stoppers for a graphics designer system (Adobe applications, 2021 and 2022 versions) I maintain. Got it running on a 2019 15.4" i9 MBP (with Vega graphics, if you can believe it) and it's been okay, I skipped 12.0 and went from Big Sur (11.6 maybe?) to that one.

If you have specific requirements (code compilation, virtualization, etc.) it might be worth looking around for specific applications you need so you won't be surprised. Not sure what "productivity" could mean, it's kind of a big umbrella.

Generally I've found skipping the x.0 (or 10.x.0 for that exceptionally long stretch of releases) is generally safe for macOS, and recent upgrades have been for the most part okay. I think 10.14 was the last system I installed from a clean wipe (i.e. with no Time Machine help).

Personally I think it's fine, no show stoppers for a graphics designer system (Adobe applications, 2021 and 2022 versions) I maintain. Got it running on a 2019 15.4" i9 MBP (with Vega graphics, if you can believe it) and it's been okay, I skipped 12.0 and went from Big Sur (11.6 maybe?) to that one.
We're basically on the same system then. 8 core i9, 32GB of RAM, Vega 20. I bought my right after the refresh dropped in May because I desperately needed a machine. Hurt super bad when the 16" dropped in November though. The base 16" was roughly as powerful as my $4k machine (albeit with less RAM on the base model).
If you have specific requirements (code compilation, virtualization, etc.) it might be worth looking around for specific applications you need so you won't be surprised. Not sure what "productivity" could mean, it's kind of a big umbrella.
I'm a Portraitist/Cinematographer.

The big program is Davinci Resolve, which has its own quirks. Other than that things like CaptureOne, Lightroom, Photoshop. I'm slowly working less and less in Adobe's ecosystem. PluralEyes, FCPX occasionally.
Generally I've found skipping the x.0 (or 10.x.0 for that exceptionally long stretch of releases) is generally safe for macOS, and recent upgrades have been for the most part okay. I think 10.14 was the last system I installed from a clean wipe (i.e. with no Time Machine help).
I generally wait for 1 or 2 major point releases as well. I just got around to installing iOS 15.2 on my phone, while skipping 15.0 and 15.1 entirely.

Last edited:
Back