macmini ram upgrade, only 667's?

pxoint

Weaksauce
heellloo,

im about to upgrade the ram of my mini and i wanted to ask if any ram that fits in the mini is possible or only the 667 ones. also can you leave 1 slot empty like for feature upgrades or does it have to be 2x512/2x1gb. if only 667's are possible, are there any "special" ones that are "better" in performance than the other? or are they all the same. (i saw some kingston wich were labeled "for mac mini")

thanks in advance,

pxoint

pxoint said:
heellloo,

im about to upgrade the ram of my mini and i wanted to ask if any ram that fits in the mini is possible or only the 667 ones. also can you leave 1 slot empty like for feature upgrades or does it have to be 2x512/2x1gb. if only 667's are possible, are there any "special" ones that are "better" in performance than the other? or are they all the same. (i saw some kingston wich were labeled "for mac mini")

thanks in advance,

pxoint

macs tend to be picky with memory, match the exact specs and you'll be fine. It doesn't need to be "for a mac mini". I don't know about the newer minis if they have to be 667mhz or not. If it were me I'd stick to the 667 since it's not much of a price difference (if any)

its just i would like to put in the fastes ram possible ^_^
i was thinking about 800-ishs...

pxoint said:

whats the point? It will just be wasting money. The mini doesn't have a fast enough bus speed to take advantage of faster memory. Save your money and stick to the specs is what I say ;) It's kind of like the first gen minis, some shipped with PC2700 and some shiped with pc3200, Apple even says in their own documentation that the PC3200 will run at PC2700 speeds.

ic, thanks for the info then :p gonna get those kingstons i guess ^^

pxoint said:

I do think there are 800's for notebook type SODIMM slots, so you can opt for 667 with the lowest CL rating.

Back