Machine won't POST, can't tell what's wrong.

cinohpa

Limp Gawd
Hi!

I'm building a machine like the one in Danny's first post here (same thing but no TV tuner):

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1735358

basically an htpc on the asus p8h77-i mobo with a G860 cpu.

Like I said the machine won't POST but there are a few things which are making me very confused. First, the mobo speaker is installed but I get absolutely no POST code, not even an error. Second, after turning the machine on, everything goes on---I have the case open and I can see all the fans working properly and the mobo light on. After being on for a while, the machine keeps running very smoothly and quietly like it is working just fine.

At first, I thought it was the monitor problem but I checked all connections, tried both DVI and VGA and tried changing the monitors, to no avail.

So far I have tried (will update as I try more things):

1. obsessively checking all connections
2. clearing CMOS
3. pushing the ram in harder... i got a click!

Turns out 3 fixed it. The RAM latches on this board were different from what I am used to.

Last edited:
OMG IT WAS THE RAM. I was sure I heard it click properly when I first seated it, but sure enough I pushed it harder and it clicked again. All is well now.

The RAM latches on the p8h77-i are different from the latches on all of the normal atx boards I have used so I guess it's harder to tell when the RAM is properly seated. If you have a similar problem, try pushing the ram in harder!

Back