Macbook Users: Have you tried Aperture and/or Lightroom?

KevC

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm a photographer and I really want a MacBook. The white one, NOT the MacBook Pro since I can't afford that one.

I'm thinking of picking up the 1.83GHz or maybe the 2Ghz one, swapping out the HDD for a 7200RPM one, then maxxing out the RAM. Maybe later invest in a 21" widescreen DVI display and a 300GB external HDD for storage.

Now my question is, how many of you have run Aperture and/or Lightroom AND photoshop on her? Is she decent? The main reason I want to get this baby is because of OSX and Aperture/Lightroom... currently ONLY available for OSX. No, I'm not going to install a hacked OSX on my PC.

I understand Aperture is *NOT* officially supported but it will install fine without a hitch. I know it's no dual G5 but I think it'll be okay to play around with.

I wouldn't be surprised if this setup was slower than my A64 at home, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Even if you're not a photographer, I'd greatly appreciate if you could download the lightroom beta (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/) and see how it runs. If you could play with RAW files that'd be a great plus.

Thanks a lot!

A lot of Aperture's processing is done through the graphics card, which is why a high-end 128MB or 256MB graphics card is strongly suggested. Running Aperture on a MacBook is going to be absoloutely terrible.

well lightroom runs just fine with 7MP images on my g4 mac mini with only 512mb of ram...so i would suspect it would run 10x better on the MB...

Shorty said:
A lot of Aperture's processing is done through the graphics card, which is why a high-end 128MB or 256MB graphics card is strongly suggested. Running Aperture on a MacBook is going to be absoloutely terrible.

Hm. Too bad. I've heard people managing to run it on the new Core Duo Minis and although it's not the fastest thing in the world, it's decent...

4b5eN+EE said:
well lightroom runs just fine with 7MP images on my g4 mac mini with only 512mb of ram...so i would suspect it would run 10x better on the MB...

Awesome. But the thing that sorta bothers me... Lightroom is expecting to release a Windows edition. Doesn't that totally defeat the purpose of buying into Apple? Hm... so many things to consider.

KevC said:
Awesome. But the thing that sorta bothers me... Lightroom is expecting to release a Windows edition. Doesn't that totally defeat the purpose of buying into Apple? Hm... so many things to consider.
Are you saying you were planning on buying a Mac ONLY because Lightroom is, at this time, only available for Macs? That does not make sense at all.

i want to try both of those before i buy them, to see how then run on a BlackBook... any ideas? i am not talking about pirating, but is there a demo version or something to see how it runs?

Back