Macbook pro (unibody) screen flicker

kur1j

Gawd
Anyone else see this? I got this laptop around Feb of this year and every once in a while I will see the whole screen turn off and turn on about once every hour or so. It will stay off for about 100-200ms and come back on. Someone told me that there was a recall on these laptops but I couldn't find anything about my specific problem. I found out a lot of people were having problems with the screens fluttering/flickering but not completely turning off and turning back on quickly.

Does anyone know about this issue?

I work for my university's IT department and ran into a very similar problem a few weeks ago. It was a brand new unibody MBP and it's screen would flicker or turn off completely depending on how it was oriented. It was more than likely an issue with the inverter board, but we replaced the whole display assembly because the system was under warranty.

I have the same problem on my 2.4ghz Unibody Macbook (similar to the 13" Macbook Pros out now). I'm taking it to the Apple store in the next week or so, I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.

Thanks.

Same with my Macbook Pro 17
No problem in my opinion. Just set the brightness up a little bit and the flickering is gone.

my screen will turn off for about 1 sec and turn back on as well. Although it only happens 3-5 times a month.

I use my laptop about 6-7 hours a day, and pull it in and out of sleep at least 15 times a day, so it isn't too big of a worry, yet.

one of my buddies had this issue and it was actually his logic board that died.

Hmmm... my 3 year old Dell($900 new, compared to what?? $2500 new??) doesn't do what you are describing, so yes, low standands.

Wow, troll somewhere else. My 13" MPB does the same thing once it comes back from sleep, not an issue for me.

Wow, troll somewhere else. My 13" MPB does the same thing once it comes back from sleep, not an issue for me.

Not trolling, just commenting on people's willingness to accept shitty products all of a sudden for whatever reason. The same thing goes for a lot of PCs too, it isn't just Macs. I happen to like Macs and if I could trade my T400 for a MBP 13 or 15, I would. If there's any problems, insignificant or not, with any machine that I plan on owning for 4+ years, or any amount of time really, you can bet I'll be in contact with warranty services - and I have twice with my T400. Once to get a new keyboard to replace the shitty flexy one, and once to ask why it doesn't stay asleep sometimes (Vista issue, 7 fixed it).

You want to accept screen flicker and a potential bigger problem down the road over getting it replaced under warranty, be my guest

How is stating the obvious trolling? If you want to accept a computer screen flickering after spending that kind of money, go ahead. Myself, and the other 95% of the people on this planet would rather our COMPUTERS(PC or Mac) be working properly(the way it was meant to work from the factory).

P.S. I can understand things breaking over time, and not getting them fixed, but when something is STILL under warrenty, and costing as much as they do(you have to admit, MBP's are not cheap), I would think you guys would be complaining, and not just sitting idly by.

i took mine in on Saturday for repair. I was getting a single line flicker across my screen and was also having issues with it locking up. Got it back yesterday after they replaced the screen and HD. Using it today I've noticed the entire screen flickers black every once in awhile. I'm going to try using it more over the next few days to see if it continues. Hoping I don't have to take it back again.

For the record, I have a 15" MBP (late 2008) that I bought in January of this year.

i took mine in on Saturday for repair. I was getting a single line flicker across my screen and was also having issues with it locking up. Got it back yesterday after they replaced the screen and HD. Using it today I've noticed the entire screen flickers black every once in awhile. I'm going to try using it more over the next few days to see if it continues. Hoping I don't have to take it back again.

For the record, I have a 15" MBP (late 2008) that I bought in January of this year.

I have the same exact one. I took it to the Apple store in B'ham and they never saw it happen. They just told me to bring it in when it does it, I explained to them that it does it once every so often and that it does it for about a 1/4 of a second. He just stated the same thing again.

Is there any kinda Online support email that I could contact?

I had a similar issue on my MacBook a couple of years ago, but noticed something interesting - it was only if my cell phone was within a few inches of my screen and I was receiving a phone call or a text message. The screen would flicker for a few seconds, or would stop if I moved the phone away. Is it possible your cell phone is causing the disruption?

I have a similar thing happen from time to time on my Late 2008 MBP. My logic board, display pretty much everything except for the top cover case was replaced 3 months ago. That is when the problem started.

It really only happens when I on a "filter" internet connection so I want to say that the firewall is blocking something in the background which is causing the flicker. Does not happen at home and in fact it has not happened for a while.

I would take it to the Apple store.

My aging 15" late 2007 MacBook Pro sometimes has the screen flicker, or have the brightness go wonky. I can't remember what triggers it but it's usually an "Oh, right, duh" fix. The laptop is getting old (I purchased it July 2007) and so I chalk up the problems to age.

Out of curiosity do you have the brightness control set to auto or did you manually set it?
Also is the system Idle or under load?

Out of curiosity do you have the brightness control set to auto or did you manually set it?
Also is the system Idle or under load?

I really wouldn't call it a "load". It does it when I am surfing the net as that it mainly what I use it for.

Back