Macbook Pro Power Adaptors..

itsukisama

Limp Gawd
I left my macbook pro to charger over night like I always do before I take it to school. Well I left it to charge last night. I woke up and the light went out on the magnetic connector. I was like wth. I switch plugs to another socket and still didn't turn on. Laptop battery was at 10%. I'm figured i'm one of the "alot" of apple customers that had this problem. Should I buy a 35w off of ebay? I really don't know where to get a new one. All the new available PS's are for this year's new models which uses the 85 watt PS's. >_<

The old macbook pro used a 35W adapter? is that even possible... the macbook uses a 60W or so, either way 85W wont hurt it.

if the power brick overheats it does this. happened to me a few times. was the brick hot? if yea then thats your problem.

go to the apple store if you still have a warranty before buying a new one if its broken though.

Yeah it got really hot sometimes. other times it was okay. Yes. it was 35w. I was like what the hell lol. Anyways I'm outta warranty so I guess i can take the ps to the apple store and have the look at it. Maybe they can fix it or replace it for cheaper. I'm kinda scared of the ebay ones cuz I don't kno if they are the "apple" ones or the "apple-ish wannabe" ones lol.. :eek: you guys think the 85w will kill my laptop lol

AFAIK, no Macbook PRO uses a 35w magsafe adapter, every MBP I've seen uses an 85w.

hrm.

All of our spare MBP adapters in the office are 85w... (4...) I'm assuming the newer, smaller versions are 85w as well.

The MacBook uses a 60w adapter, the MacBook Pro uses an 85w adapter. Hell, the MacBook Air uses a 45w adapter.

Take it to the Apple Store first. They may swap it out even though you're outside the warranty. Additionally, you're not going to find any non Apple Magsafe adapters since Apple hasn't licensed the connector to anyone else.

The macbook pro can use the macbook 60w adapter just fine, it will probably charge slower.

The 85w is a better move though, be careful if buying used ones and make sure the joints are good, people don't take very good care of their stuff sometimes :(

I love Apple's products but their long-term QC could def. be better.

core2 based macbook pros will not charge the battery with anything less than an 85 watt adapter

Yeah it got really hot sometimes. other times it was okay. Yes. it was 35w. I was like what the hell lol. Anyways I'm outta warranty so I guess i can take the ps to the apple store and have the look at it. Maybe they can fix it or replace it for cheaper. I'm kinda scared of the ebay ones cuz I don't kno if they are the "apple" ones or the "apple-ish wannabe" ones lol.. :eek: you guys think the 85w will kill my laptop lol

I can GUARANTEE you that it's not a 35W adapter. I have a first gen MBP adapter and a new one from two months ago. Neither are 35 W.

What you probably do have is an 85W adapter... where the left side of the "8" was rubbed away, leaving you with a 3.

This doesn't seem to be the case for me. I have a Core2 and I used my roommates adapter from his older Macbook, and it charges just fine.

The macbook pro can use the macbook 60w adapter just fine, it will probably charge slower.

Very similar situation with the newer 15" and 17" PowerBook G4s. They shipped with a 65w A/C adapter, but would run with a 45w adapter. The catch was, the battery would still drain, just not as fast. If the battery was dead, the computer wouldn't even boot up.

I love Apple's products but their long-term QC could def. be better.

I've seen many many Dell/HP/Gateway/Compaq/Sony/Toshiba adapters that have failed, I don't think that this is just an Apple problem. The bean counters ruin it for everyone.

This doesn't seem to be the case for me. I have a Core2 and I used my roommates adapter from his older Macbook, and it charges just fine.

I doubt that this is good for your battery or the adapter. If Apple could ship a 60w adapter with the MacBook Pro, they would simply to save money.

I've seen many many Dell/HP/Gateway/Compaq/Sony/Toshiba adapters that have failed, I don't think that this is just an Apple problem. The bean counters ruin it for everyone.

The problem I have with them is for an connector that is supposed to help prevent this problem (by requiring a lot less force to disconnect) I've seen a ton of failures at the connector end. Maybe it's just bad luck and all of my friends who had theirs fail got the same batch, but imo they should have made the connector slightly larger and done a better job with internal stress relief. It's by no means an Apple problem, but given that the MagSafe connector was one of the advertised features, I wish they had put a bit more QC into it.

Very similar situation with the newer 15" and 17" PowerBook G4s. They shipped with a 65w A/C adapter, but would run with a 45w adapter. The catch was, the battery would still drain, just not as fast. If the battery was dead, the computer wouldn't even boot up.

I doubt that this is good for your battery or the adapter. If Apple could ship a 60w adapter with the MacBook Pro, they would simply to save money.

well the power adapter that ships with it is rated to run the computer at full tilt (while gaming lets say, or rendering a video) while also charging the battery, so the MB power adapter can charge it and run it just fine at low/moderate usage levels.

Back