MacBook Pro performing SLOW

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
So my stepdaughter was complaining about her mackbook pro being slow. She said a local hardware store said her hard drive was bad (Crucial M4 256GB SSD). So I sent out a Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD to her for them to swap out. They swapped it out, restored the OS. And the MacBook Pro is still taking minutes to perform the slightest of tasks. To close a window out, it can take up to 1-2 minutes. To launch a window or even the "about" window, it can take 1-2 minutes. Rebooting can take 10 minutes or more. Even just clicking on the menu causes the rainbow ball/disk to appear and spin for a bitl. After 10 or so minutes of being booted to the OS, the menu works a little faster, but still struggles at launching things. I am not an Apple person so I've troubleshot what I could at the moment. Any ideas?

I've performed a system test "D" during boot and then tested the hardware. Everything tested good.
I've swapped out the memory as well from 2x2GB to 2x4GB.
I've updated the OS

Specs:
OSX: 10.8.5
CPU: 2.5Ghz Core i5
Memory: 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3
SSD: 250GB Samsung EVO 850 250GB

Try a clean install. I’d also try moving to Sierra at least. Updates are free.

That hardware is decently quick. It should be nowhere near as slow as you’re saying. You’ve eliminated most hardware problems. Aim for the software ones now.

Yeah, I actually put a 250GB HDD in there and installed Windows 10 to test it. Everything worked fine. So, I'm going to try to do a fresh install of the latest MacOSX. I've got a buddy who downloaded it for me and I'm going to make a flash drive with it on one of my windows machines.

It is a 13" Macbook Pro, however Windows 10 install and operating worked just fine, so I'm not sure that it's a cable.

It is a 13" Macbook Pro, however Windows 10 install and operating worked just fine, so I'm not sure that it's a cable.
AH I missed that you did bootcamp to install windows on the macbook. Damn

Next biggest thing I can think of is that at one point (not sure if it is still a thing), some of the computers would get really slow if the battery was bad. Used to be on Apples Knowledge Base, but it has since been removed.

Well, at this point, I've somehow screwed up the install that was on the drive. I'm left with a laptop which will attempt to boot to an Apple Install (Which ultimately fails), and a recovery 10.8.5 option which also... Ultimately fails. I don't have another Macbook here to create any sort of install USB drive, so I've been trying to create drives using PowerISO and Transdrive from some OSX downloads I got from a friend on my Windows machine... Still no luck.

Well, at this point, I've somehow screwed up the install that was on the drive. I'm left with a laptop which will attempt to boot to an Apple Install (Which ultimately fails), and a recovery 10.8.5 option which also... Ultimately fails. I don't have another Macbook here to create any sort of install USB drive, so I've been trying to create drives using PowerISO and Transdrive from some OSX downloads I got from a friend on my Windows machine... Still no luck.

This happens even if you try to install a later version of OSX?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

You dont need a usb drive to reinstall OSX. On boot, hold down Command and Option. You can at this point repair your OSX (it will reinstall the OS and keep your files) or you can format the drive and do a fresh install. No recovery media or recovery partition needed, just access to wifi.

I replaced a Macbook Pro keyboard once and swapped the battery while I was at it.

Machine ran like fucking horse shit after. Couldn't figure it out - it lagged incredibly hard, completely unusable.

Eventually realized that the CPU was absolutely pegged by some kernel task or something. Connected old battery, problem gone. Reconnected, it's back. Reset SMC and all other bullshit, no difference.

Back