MacBook Pro Keyboard Replacement

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
If you own a MacBook Pro 2016 or later (Touchbar era and to date), you probably know or have heard that there are issues with the funky thin keyboard in these things.

I own one and I HATE the GD keyboard in this thing, but that's another story...

I understand Apple has extended the warranty to 4 years on them, so look into that if yours goes bad.

Now, if you are even considering replacing yours on your own, you need to watch these two video's first.

Part 1

Part 2

I have been in this business for over 30 years, and have repaired thousands of Apple Laptops and etc... in my time, but kiddies, I have never seen anything as fucked up as this procedure.

I honestly believe this is by far the worst repair I've ever witnessed on a computer product, and I used to repair AppleVision monitors at the component level.

Grab some popcorn. A crying towel if you own one of these things.

And enjoy ....

I replaced a 2009 macbook pro keyboard a couple years back, and it required the entire laptop to be stripped down. The screws holding it in to the chassis were tiny, and some of the ribbon cables/connectors were so small I was scared to even touch them. The operation was a success though, added an ssd and a new battery while i was in there.

Apple doesn't even do this. When you take your MBP in for the (free) keyboard repair, they will take your logic board and screen and put them in/on a new top case.

One of the dumb aspects of this is that despite the procedure and parts replaced being exactly the same (top case, keyboard, battery, trackpad), Apple can bill differently depending on what's broken. Our third-party Apple-certified repair place we take the 2016+ MBPs to for the keyboard likes to ding us for non-keyboard issues (dented case, battery issue, etc.) and they will bill for that even on a free repair that would have fixed that particular issue along the way.

Apple doesn't even do this. When you take your MBP in for the (free) keyboard repair, they will take your logic board and screen and put them in/on a new top case.

One of the dumb aspects of this is that despite the procedure and parts replaced being exactly the same (top case, keyboard, battery, trackpad), Apple can bill differently depending on what's broken. Our third-party Apple-certified repair place we take the 2016+ MBPs to for the keyboard likes to ding us for non-keyboard issues (dented case, battery issue, etc.) and they will bill for that even on a free repair that would have fixed that particular issue along the way.

And the customer never knows they also get reimbursed by Apple for the keyboard repair, so they get double-paid !

I would simply insist the ONLY repair the keyboard. It's Apple's extended warranty. Make them do ONLY what is covered under the warranty.

Is anyone else surprised that Apple themselves when taking in a laptop with the keyboard issue that they have to replace the entire top part of the laptop? I took in my 2017 last year and they gave me a new battery, top case, keyboard (obviously)... Even Apple doesn't want to fix it themselves... they just replace the entire bottom of the thing. It's nice because I got a new battery, but god damn...

Also, I have since upgraded to the 2018 Macbook Pro and the keyboard is a LOT better but the problem is that that's still not saying a lot when you consider how shit it has been. The keyboard still sucks ass compared to virtually every other keyboard I use in my weekly life... my desktop at home, my desktop at work, and my Dell Latitude laptop from work... literally EVERY keyboard on the market right now is better than Apple's keyboard which is a fucking shame when the rest of the damn thing is so great. ALL these issues stems from Apple's constant race to make the thinnest everything. I think we have gone beyond the point of caring about thin electronics. People want a thin laptop then go buy a Macbook or a Macbook Air... I don't need a thin professional computer. I want to have the best keyboard, best build quality, and best screen on a laptop in the Macbook Pro price range and that's final. Instead of ONLY extending the keyboard warranty I hoped Apple would announce that they are working on a PROPER keyboard for their next Macbook Pro refresh. That will get me to trade in my current one (maybe).

If you own a MacBook Pro 2016 or later (Touchbar era and to date), you probably know or have heard that there are issues with the funky thin keyboard in these things.

I own one and I HATE the GD keyboard in this thing, but that's another story...

I understand Apple has extended the warranty to 4 years on them, so look into that if yours goes bad.

Now, if you are even considering replacing yours on your own, you need to watch these two video's first.

Part 1

Part 2

I have been in this business for over 30 years, and have repaired thousands of Apple Laptops and etc... in my time, but kiddies, I have never seen anything as fucked up as this procedure.

I honestly believe this is by far the worst repair I've ever witnessed on a computer product, and I used to repair AppleVision monitors at the component level.

Grab some popcorn. A crying towel if you own one of these things.

And enjoy ....

Talk with Louis Rossmann. He can quote you chapter and verse on The Bible Of How Shitty Apple Is.

This is just their ongoing war to maximize profit margin and destroy user/3rd party repairability.

Because, every time something breaks. they get to sell a NEW ONE!

Is anyone else surprised that Apple themselves when taking in a laptop with the keyboard issue that they have to replace the entire top part of the laptop? I took in my 2017 last year and they gave me a new battery, top case, keyboard (obviously)... Even Apple doesn't want to fix it themselves... they just replace the entire bottom of the thing. It's nice because I got a new battery, but god damn...
You take your car to the dealer and they don't replace one part when it's inside the engine/trans...they pull it and put a whole new one in. Same thing.

You take your car to the dealer and they don't replace one part when it's inside the engine/trans...they pull it and put a whole new one in. Same thing.

You do realize that on almost every other laptop on the market replacing a keyboard doesn't require replacing half of the computer right? Not sure why you're trying to defend shitty design. All Apple is going is trying to get people to not fix their own computers. That's it.

You do realize that on almost every other laptop on the market replacing a keyboard doesn't require replacing half of the computer right? Not sure why you're trying to defend shitty design. All Apple is going is trying to get people to not fix their own computers. That's it.

I wouldn’t say it’s shitty - it’s done that way because of the thinness

You CAN remove a key, clean the spot it’s in, and replace it along with the mechanism. I’ve done it.

I’ve also pulled a car apart to replace some stupid part. But Apple doesn’t do it because it’s easier and faster for them to just replace the whole bottom case.

Plenty of other laptops don’t let you repair them anymore, mostly thin ones like the Surface lineup. It’s not that they don’t want you repairing them, it’s just easier to make them this way.

You CAN remove a key, clean the spot it’s in, and replace it along with the mechanism. I’ve done it.
On the pre-2016 models the key mechanism is somewhat sturdy. The 2016+ models are substantially more fragile. *You* may be able to do it. For most users, it's highly recommended not to. It's especially bad on the MBP since Apple will happily replace it free under warranty *if* one does not screw it up trying to fix it themselves. A MBP owner walking into Apple with a physically damaged key will pay for that repair.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/363530/How+to+remove+keycaps

Yea. I did it back in 2016 before they announced the service program. Bought another keyboard for parts on eBay. Very fragile mechanism.

Back