MacBook Pro Keyboard Replacement

Discussion in 'Apple Products' started by TechLarry, Jan 10, 2019.

1. TechLarry

TechLarry Can't find the G Spot

If you own a MacBook Pro 2016 or later (Touchbar era and to date), you probably know or have heard that there are issues with the funky thin keyboard in these things.

I own one and I HATE the GD keyboard in this thing, but that's another story...

I understand Apple has extended the warranty to 4 years on them, so look into that if yours goes bad.

Now, if you are even considering replacing yours on your own, you need to watch these two video's first.

Part 1

Part 2

I have been in this business for over 30 years, and have repaired thousands of Apple Laptops and etc... in my time, but kiddies, I have never seen anything as fucked up as this procedure.

I honestly believe this is by far the worst repair I've ever witnessed on a computer product, and I used to repair AppleVision monitors at the component level.

Grab some popcorn. A crying towel if you own one of these things.

And enjoy ....

Travolta, GoldenTiger and pendragon1 like this.
  2. Travolta

Travolta Gawd

I replaced a 2009 macbook pro keyboard a couple years back, and it required the entire laptop to be stripped down. The screws holding it in to the chassis were tiny, and some of the ribbon cables/connectors were so small I was scared to even touch them. The operation was a success though, added an ssd and a new battery while i was in there.

3. SuperSubZero

SuperSubZero 2[H]4U

Apple doesn't even do this. When you take your MBP in for the (free) keyboard repair, they will take your logic board and screen and put them in/on a new top case.

One of the dumb aspects of this is that despite the procedure and parts replaced being exactly the same (top case, keyboard, battery, trackpad), Apple can bill differently depending on what's broken. Our third-party Apple-certified repair place we take the 2016+ MBPs to for the keyboard likes to ding us for non-keyboard issues (dented case, battery issue, etc.) and they will bill for that even on a free repair that would have fixed that particular issue along the way.

TechLarry likes this.
  4. Machupo

Machupo Gravity Tester

I did a kb swap on a mid-2011 MBP and those billions of tiny screws are a chore!

TechLarry and Travolta like this.
  5. TechLarry

TechLarry Can't find the G Spot

And the customer never knows they also get reimbursed by Apple for the keyboard repair, so they get double-paid !

I would simply insist the ONLY repair the keyboard. It's Apple's extended warranty. Make them do ONLY what is covered under the warranty.