Macbook Pro Helps Core i7 Hit 214F

Don't you put your MBP anywhere close to my venti ice mocha frap.

-Sent from a Starbuck.

This is nothing new for the Apple camp. My old 2.4GHz/17" SR MBP idles at about 53*C and under load would hit 97*C until I re-did the thermal paste. Now it only hits about 89. :rolleyes: I wonder if they're still putting on way too much thermal compound:

(from Apple's service manual, via appledefects)

Jobs seems to have a somewhat unhealthy obsession with making things thin and sleek, and pretty (I mean this is the guy that threw a temper tantrum because the memory traces on a motherboard were "ugly") and his obsession with making things not just quiet but as close to inaudible as he can get them. The worst part is that the machine could actually be made to run a lot cooler without sacrificing aesthetics much, if at all. But apparently milling a couple of air intakes into the bottom case and making them look good is an anathema to him.

The people that jumped to their death were the ones in charge of implementing cooling apparatus in the MBP's. Without them, Apple is doomed.

Actually the cores hit 104 and 103 degrees Celcius MAX according to the screen shots.
Considering that Tj Max is 105 degrees C, I'd say that the thermal protection probably kicked in. However, I'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt and see if it's a defective unit first, before jumping on the Apple Hate Bandwagon.

What's more funny is the comment by Apple Fanboi that links to an uneducated fanboi blog post on macdailynews "rebutting" the PC Authority article, by sticking their thumbs in their ears and pointing out "inaccuracies" in the PC Authority arcticle that just reveal their lack of tech knowledge and unending Apple Fanboism.

macdailynews said:
Furthermore, the screenshot Baxter and Gillooly show clearly indicate a "FUJITSU PC" running an "Intel Core i5." Not an Intel Core i7. So, of course, it's running cooler. PC Advisor's propaganda piece is falling apart at the seams.

Too bad the Apple MacBookPro screenshow also shows an "i5" processor. The fanbois over at macdailynews don't even realize that since the Core i7-620M is a dual core processor architecturally not similar to their i7 quad core mobile bretheren, it's often identified as a Core i5 Mobile chip. I can go on, but just that quote shows the lack of objective rebuttal... the whole rebuttal article sounds more like "Nyah, Nyah, Apple can't suck, YOU suck" than a well formed rebuttal.

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/24972/

I also believe in telling the truth. As a point of fact, all my desktops are self built Hackintoshes, and I have a MBP from 2008 pre-unibody.

Definitely not a Mac Zealot, but these guys didn't even compare the same processors to each other. I do get the Apple-Hate, but come on guys, there is enough fodder to use against Apple already without having to flat out LIE to get it done...;)

Reminds me of the old Acer Ferrari.. They remade the chassis with carbon fiber because of its extreme heating issue.

I had one of the early Intel Macbook Pros and it would hit ~95C under load. That laptop shell would get too hot to comfortably hold on a lap. If I used the thing outside during the summer (or while driving), it would overheat and blip off if any direct sunlight was hitting the chassis.

After that I had a Lenovo that got so hot the docking connector left a burn mark on my leg. Apparently playing WoW outside in the sun while wearing shorts was a bad idea =/
Wut? My Lenovo doesn't even produce enough heat to keep my lap warm. :( I have a G530.

Actually the cores hit 104 and 103 degrees Celcius MAX according to the screen shots.
Considering that Tj Max is 105 degrees C, I'd say that the thermal protection probably kicked in. However, I'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt and see if it's a defective unit first, before jumping on the Apple Hate Bandwagon.

What's more funny is the comment by Apple Fanboi that links to an uneducated fanboi blog post on macdailynews "rebutting" the PC Authority article, by sticking their thumbs in their ears and pointing out "inaccuracies" in the PC Authority arcticle that just reveal their lack of tech knowledge and unending Apple Fanboism.

Too bad the Apple MacBookPro screenshow also shows an "i5" processor. The fanbois over at macdailynews don't even realize that since the Core i7-620M is a dual core processor architecturally not similar to their i7 quad core mobile bretheren, it's often identified as a Core i5 Mobile chip. I can go on, but just that quote shows the lack of objective rebuttal... the whole rebuttal article sounds more like "Nyah, Nyah, Apple can't suck, YOU suck" than a well formed rebuttal.

Lol I really hope that PC Advisor addresses macdailynews' comments with something along this vein, they shouldn't get away with not knowing wtf they're talking about like that.

I'm a dinosaur, I know, but I don't see why people like laptops so much. Its an exercise in compromises, yeah its sorta mobile, for 3 hours till the battery chokes, and for that I gotta put up with a shitty keyboard, shitty screen, and now... enough heat that "chestnuts roasting on an open fire", isn't just a christmas carol anymore.

agree 100%, you forgot to mention the crappy trackpad
as a heavy computer user in and out of work/school, I've had very few situations where I felt, "gee, it would have been useful to have a laptop right now"

Did something change that made diode temperature the same as socket temperature?

Pfft thats what? 100c? my MBP has hit 104C during a multihour Final Cut render! :eek: That said, it is from 2007 and hasn't blown up on me yet and usual web surfing with iTunes and Adium etc open sits around 40. Idle is obviously even lower, so I think I will be ok :p

And people complain about the 480! At least that damn thing isn't call a second degree burn generator, er I mean laptop.

@George

Re: Apr 26, 10 - 03:44 pm Comment from: George on macdailynews

You posted my message here on hardforum verbatim on the macdailynews comments without referencing the original author or at least linked to the post in this forum. WTF?

BTW I'm not George... or am I a closet schizo and don't know it... nah, it's because I posted earlier on the macdailynews comment page already.

my c2d umbp is right now 70 degrees C and I'm just surfing the web with itunes on.

I'm not surprised things would get that hot in the i7 umbp

I'm a dinosaur, I know, but I don't see why people like laptops so much. Its an exercise in compromises, yeah its sorta mobile, for 3 hours till the battery chokes, and for that I gotta put up with a shitty keyboard, shitty screen, and now... enough heat that "chestnuts roasting on an open fire", isn't just a christmas carol anymore.

It's because you've never used a good laptop.

My thinkpad is just as fast as my desktop in everything except gaming, gets 4-5 hours of battery life (and could get 8 if I add in the ultrabay battery), has the best keyboard in the world (I can type 131 wpm on it sustained), and the external case never gets above 83f.

Jobs seems to have a somewhat unhealthy obsession with making things thin and sleek, and pretty (I mean this is the guy that threw a temper tantrum because the memory traces on a motherboard were "ugly") and his obsession with making things not just quiet but as close to inaudible as he can get them.

thanks for sharing that link, never came across that story before. Its insane how Steve Jobs cared so much about a circuit board layout. He's such a nutcase.

Whats worse is there are some Apple fans who seems to blindly agrees with everything Steve Jobs says even if it defies all logic and common sense, judging by those comments :eek:

I dunno. I mean I personally wouldn't care. For example, my main case has a window, so everything there is nice a pretty. However the wiring job in all my other boxes would probably make people here cry :p so I mean I obviously wouldn't care about mem traces. However, he sells a 'status symbol' product of sorts. Rolls-Royce does crazy detailed things with the decking (which is well... decking to start with) on its convertables... It isn't like the makers and buyers of status symbol type things don't do crazy stuff. Seems you are making too much out of that Hornet.

This is one of the big reasons I didn't buy a 15" MacBook Pro. Obviously the dual-core i5 in the base 15" I was considering isn't nearly as bad, but I've heard multiple reports that even the 15" is uncomfortable if you use it on your lap.

My ThinkPad T400 (Core 2 Duo P8700) on the other hand is perfectly comfortable even running WoW, and while it gets a bit toasty when I run both Prime95 and FurMark at the same time, it's nowhere near TJ Max (around 20C away at worst).

This is one of the big reasons I didn't buy a 15" MacBook Pro. Obviously the dual-core i5 in the base 15" I was considering isn't nearly as bad, but I've heard multiple reports that even the 15" is uncomfortable if you use it on your lap.

My ThinkPad T400 (Core 2 Duo P8700) on the other hand is perfectly comfortable even running WoW, and while it gets a bit toasty when I run both Prime95 and FurMark at the same time, it's nowhere near TJ Max (around 20C away at worst).

I can't speak for the newer ones, but mine will never get uncomfortably hot in your lap doing anything on battery. I can get very very hot (though still not as bad as the worst I have had... some HP laptop with a dual core AMD. That thing was the worst.) if it is plugged in and running something intensive. I don't really mind it though. If it is in my lap it isn't plugged in. if it is plugged in it is on a desk or table so it works out. Different things for different people though. I mean you are talking about heat and the last guy was talking about mem trace, while I am not sure if I will upgrade my MBP to the new ones because of the black keys and borders :p Silly? Sure, but I mean I got this laptop because I think it is without a doubt the best looking one ever made and it had the specs I wanted at the time (late 07) at what was actually a very fair price. I like the unibody, but the black keyboard and black display border bug the crap out of me. That said the other laptops I like (the Lenevo thinkpads) just flat out look disgusting, so they are kind of meh too. Who knows what I will end up with :)

on a side note, does it really hurt the over all design of the machine if its a little bit thicker? just a 1/4" would add so much more breath-ability to it...

I dunno. I mean I personally wouldn't care. For example, my main case has a window, so everything there is nice a pretty. However the wiring job in all my other boxes would probably make people here cry :p so I mean I obviously wouldn't care about mem traces. However, he sells a 'status symbol' product of sorts. Rolls-Royce does crazy detailed things with the decking (which is well... decking to start with) on its convertables... It isn't like the makers and buyers of status symbol type things don't do crazy stuff. Seems you are making too much out of that Hornet.

I can understand if he wants to fine tune every details from every keys on the keyboard to the screws used to make a product appears classy or unique. But I just don't see any sense in wanting to make memory traces pleasant to the eye. Just like how luxury car maker may pay extra attention to every detail, I'm sure they don't arrange the internal wiring in a way that is pleasant to the eye, or choose some attractive color scheme for the wires :p

BTW, I'm not accusing all Apple fans or even the majority of them. Just pointing out a few like those who post the comments there ;) Its ok to be loyal to Apple if they like the company that much, but their love for Steve Jobs is beyond reason :eek:

IMO It's kind of like a vicous cycle of unmet consumer needs.

I think a few years ago some of us would have complained more about the lack of power/gaming ability of laptops, today it seems there are more "DTR" class notebooks out there but many of us are back to complaining about heat and battery life!

You can go balls to the wall, or not balls to the wall, but in-between is kind of tough!

on a side note, does it really hurt the over all design of the machine if its a little bit thicker? just a 1/4" would add so much more breath-ability to it...

They have slogans to live up to. Every manufacturer wants a claim in the "Thinnest-notebook-in-the-world" category. What they don't say is that the processor keeps throttling back from the heat ;)

This is what happens when form is more important than function. Its a tool not a freaking handbag, someone should make that their motto.

Back