Macbook Pro Helps Core i7 Hit 214F

HardOCP News

[H] News
During a recent review, the folks at PC Authority noticed that the Core i7 in the MacBook Pro they were testing was hitting almost 214˚ F. Yikes! Tell me that bad boy wouldn’t cook your eggs if you had it in your lap. :eek:

To be sure of our results we left the Macbook Pro overnight to cool off. Upon coming back into the office we repeated our tests, first in Windows and then in OS X. By the time the second run of the Cinebench test finished in Windows, the CPU Diode was reporting a temperature of 101 degrees Celsius.

I'm a dinosaur, I know, but I don't see why people like laptops so much. Its an exercise in compromises, yeah its sorta mobile, for 3 hours till the battery chokes, and for that I gotta put up with a shitty keyboard, shitty screen, and now... enough heat that "chestnuts roasting on an open fire", isn't just a christmas carol anymore.

Honestly, how long are these gonna last putting up those temps? Do they come with a 'hot coffee' warning?

It's a feature, A FEATURE DAMNIT! :D

This laptop is for those long winters LOL!

Its just the mobility Adam. I love my gaming pc at home but can't bring it to university with me everyday. Not to mention, if I could bring my gaming pc to university with me everyday, I would rarely if ever get any studying or work done. In a way, having laptops being hard to game with is a mixed blessing in disguise.

Gamers would have an even worse reputation if we showed up to work, started to play video games there and never got any work done while at work. Getting no work done at home is a different matter and somewhat socially acceptable. IE, the sports fan who spends several hours watching 'the game'.

Still...101 oC? Well folks, I guess Intel wanted to beat nVidia one last time. It looks like their heat under load in a Macbook Pro even beats Fermi!

I'm a dinosaur, I know, but I don't see why people like laptops so much. Its an exercise in compromises, yeah its sorta mobile, for 3 hours till the battery chokes, and for that I gotta put up with a shitty keyboard, shitty screen, and now... enough heat that "chestnuts roasting on an open fire", isn't just a christmas carol anymore.

But it's good for taking to the son's house which is 9 hours away so I can do what I need to and have my apps and data..

Its just the mobility Adam. I love my gaming pc at home but can't bring it to university with me everyday. Not to mention, if I could bring my gaming pc to university with me everyday, I would rarely if ever get any studying or work done. In a way, having laptops being hard to game with is a mixed blessing in disguise.

Gamers would have an even worse reputation if we showed up to work, started to play video games there and never got any work done while at work. Getting no work done at home is a different matter and somewhat socially acceptable. IE, the sports fan who spends several hours watching 'the game'.

Still...101 oC? Well folks, I guess Intel wanted to beat nVidia one last time. It looks like their heat under load in a Macbook Pro even beats Fermi!

I dpm't think it is Intel who is "wanting to beat Nvidia" as you put it. Apple is the one with the crappy design and therefore, it is their problem, not Intel's.

Adam, I used to feel like you. Now I can't imagine not having at least one laptop. I use mine for work that I don't want on my gaming PC, for 32bit programs, for running xp for my consulting work, and as a GPS. It's very handy for overnight trips, emergency room waits (ok maybe a kindle would be better, but all my lappies cost me less than a kindle) all the things I can't do on my "almost smart" phone.

Now back on topic, the tj diode in an i7 (at least mine) is set to 100 degrees C, but I never would let mine get that hot, much less in a laptop. Sounds like Apple is setting themselves up for customer complaints and warranty claims by skimping on cooling AGAIN (very few of the mac's I've owned were cool enough to sit on my lap for very long, but I've never splurged for a brand new one)

Just an appropriate time to say this...

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█░░░
░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█░░░
░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░░▀ ░░░▀░▀ ░▀ ░▀▀▀░

Someone at Apple will figure out a way to blame this on a Flash site running in Safari when this thing hit max heat. That seems to be the "broken record de jour" right now with the fruit heads. :eek:

My MBP from 2007 does the same while watching Youtube. Partly because Flash is so hideously awful on OSX and uses 100% of both cores whenever it runs. While it is far hotter than I would like, I have to say it is still running after 3 years of hitting those temps.

That said, it's horribly disappointing that in that three years they haven't been able to fix that glaring, and frankly dangerous, issue. I was hoping to upgrade to one of those but when I could get an Asus for far cheaper, with higher specs (aside from battery), the Asus is looking more and more palatable. Plus it loads around 30C cooler using an i7 quad. And that's just ridiculous.

░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█░░░
░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█░░░
░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░░▀ ░░░▀░▀ ░▀ ░▀▀▀░

maybe just maybe they will start putting fans in places where they need to be... you like, like allowing cold air to actually be pulled into the machine and cool the CPU?

spelling fail on my part and no edit button... 2nd half should say "you know, like allowing cold air..." yadda yadda.. you get the point..

Incidentally, this is EXACTLY the temperature I was able to get my iMac to as reported by Real Temp. However it was a C2D and so the TJMax was not in the CPU registers so I've no idea how accurate it was. I was trying to prove to Apple the cooling was inadequate after they "repaired" the machine (the fans would constantly spin up for no reason) and their response was basically "if it's not stress tested with our own tools that we won't give you we can't do anything."

Further confirming my suspicions was that almost everyone else on MacRumors with iMac 8800 GS (8800M GTS) failures reported the fans acting weird after receiving it back. I'd have Safari, Mail and iChat open with no other CPU/GPU intensive apps and the fans would suddenly spin up to 3K RPM for a minute. Obviously not right.

Laptops are awesome because it's portable. Battery life is not a problem since you can pretty much plug it anywhere you want. Even if you're traveling, most trains and planes have outlets for laptops, and you can buy a cigarette lighter-to-plug adapters for automobiles.

I love my EliteBook 2530p with its 5+ hour battery life. I love that I could simply remove it from the docking station at work and drop it in my bag and take it home and continue my work at home without worrying about transferring files to thumb drive and putting it on my personal computer at home.

Heat? Nossir. Temperature. Heat's a little different. I don't think any single chip beats Fermi in terms of heat output right now. It's the reigning champ of BTUs!

Oh, and Apple always sacrifices cooling performance for low noise. More often than not, they go too far. A quiet machine is important, but not if it causes problems relating to chips getting dangerously close to, well, melting.

Really Fahrenheit? This is a computer forum we use Celsius here. Also its only like 100c.

actually they are called notebooks now for a reason. you are not meant to have them on your lap for that every reason that the heat would burn you.

Ooooh, ok. Nothing to see here fellas, it's only a 100c anyway. That's not the boiling point of water or anything and it's certainly normal for computers to run at that temp all the time.

I had one of the early Intel Macbook Pros and it would hit ~95C under load. That laptop shell would get too hot to comfortably hold on a lap. If I used the thing outside during the summer (or while driving), it would overheat and blip off if any direct sunlight was hitting the chassis.

After that I had a Lenovo that got so hot the docking connector left a burn mark on my leg. Apparently playing WoW outside in the sun while wearing shorts was a bad idea =/

Ooooh, ok. Nothing to see here fellas, it's only a 100c anyway. That's not the boiling point of water or anything and it's certainly normal for computers to run at that temp all the time.

Uh, no. 100°C is the boiling point of water (at sea level). Physics Fail for you.

It is not normal for any laptop to run over 80° C, at least in my book. And for reference, my Asus laptop averages 66°C at idle, 75°C under gaming load. (and that's mostly GPU)

Lol @ quaint measurement system used to make it sound hotter. how many rods to the hogshead is that?

still, 101 degrees is pretty hot, and very poor design.

I find it funny that when the subject of the C2D CULV CPU comes up that people look at the specs and say "It's too slow!" Maybe but DAMN is it cool. My tm2 NEVER gets hot, might get a little warm around the battery when its charging but my hand will warm it up more than it running.

I'm done with the Hot Pockets. My day to day mobile device will ALWAYS use a low voltage CPU from now on as they perform great these days.

Really Fahrenheit? This is a computer forum we use Celsius here. Also its only like 100c.

Only? Why don't you go ahead and give that a quick touch so the rest of us can have some info about how bad the burns will be.

Every time I hear about this kind of heat coming from a laptop I always think of that old legal case where a paraplegic guy burned his legs with his laptop but had no idea until some pretty serious tissue damage was done. It seems these companies haven't learned squat from that incident and don't care how how they get.

Even if the CPU can put up with it, all that heat is bound to damage other components. I'm sure all the people that buy this thing will be thrilled with contact burns at a 3 month cycle of replacing a burned out piece of hardware.

Why would people not like a laptop

Crappy keyboard?
Crappy Monitor?

weight, portability, take it anywhere

nothing wrong with laptop LCD's these days compared to desktop LCD's, obviously you have no need for portability so a laptop isnt for you, and with laptops these days and the power they have, i think laptops would suite more people then full desktops do.

Hmm its all becoming clear now. Apple is mad at Adobe. OSX gets tied up with flash and the i7 toasts their machines causing crazy support costs. The circle is complete.:D

Why not patch in a cpu throttle down when the temp gets up there?

Just another case of Apple taking form over function. They're so obsessed with keeping the thing quiet that they use the case to disperse the heat and that leads to the hot case temperatures. But, it is quiet ... and that is ultimately their big concern. Has to look pretty and has to be quiet. Now, if you burn your lap I suspect they'll just not care ... as long as the laptop looked good doing it.

Just another case of Apple taking form over function. They're so obsessed with keeping the thing quiet that they use the case to disperse the heat and that leads to the hot case temperatures. But, it is quiet ... and that is ultimately their big concern. Has to look pretty and has to be quiet. Now, if you burn your lap I suspect they'll just not care ... as long as the laptop looked good doing it.
Yeah, until the battery explodes. At least you can test for that possibility by dropping your battery in a double boiler for a few hours... Anyone game?

Apple doesn't make computers anymore so they have forgotten the basic concerns of designing them as well. To me Apple is more like Dell, the only difference is that Apple ships OSX on their PC's instead of Windows. Also both Dell and Apple are manufactured by Foxconn lol

Apple is probably just figuring; Chances are these things will spend a lot of time at Starbucks, and who likes cold coffee? :p

Back