Macbook Pro DVD-RW DL Possibility?

Malikman

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey Everybody,
I am interested in putting a DVD-RW DL in my computer so i can use and burn Double Layered DVDs

Is this possible or is there no lapto DVD-RW DL that will work with macbook pro?
I am not sure of the macbook's specifications so i thought i'd just ask.

I own a macbook pro core duo 2.0ghz version... if you need any other information just ask.

The other question i ask... that would forgo this need of a DL (for now) is that i have a burned Double Layer DVD with information on it. Yet, when i put it in my system it does nto read... it just spits it back out.. whether i'm in OS X or on XP in bootcamp... i have tried this on computers witgh a DVD-RW and it comes up, so i am not sure if it's a setting with my system or if my system just can't read DVD-RW DLs?

Thanks for your info!
:)

I am not sure when they started putting them in - but I can burn DL DVDs in my MBP - 2.33 - X1600 card.

What procesor Nomad??
They probably put them in with the Core 2 Duo set.

According to Apple's specs page, the first C2D Macbook Pros were equipped with DL Superdrives. Just as an example, here's a place that installs it for you:

http://macservice.com/macbookpro.html

A 6X DL Superdrive for a Macbook Pro is $245, shipping and installation costs included.

But FYI, Apple specs on your Macbook say that your superdrive should definitely be able read DL DVDs. Just not write them.

Then maybe it doesns't like the mdia i usd? cause it definetly isn't reding them... and that's what i need most importantly.

So, I don't have a DL burner but... i should be able to read DL disks and i can't... do you think it's becuase i got bad Media (Memorax)?

Most likely. I think almost all DVD drives (ever since the first PC drives showed up in 96) can read DL discs by default. Can you try it in another drive?

So, I don't have a DL burner but... i should be able to read DL disks and i can't... do you think it's becuase i got bad Media (Memorax)?

all dvd drives should be able to read dual layer discs... i'm pretty sure it was in the original specs... most of the movies you buy off the shelves right now are DL...

now burning is a different story, that disc is probably coastered

I have the macbook with the DL superdrive, and I burn on memorex DVD's all the time with no problems. Maybe try different media and see if that helps, otherwise maybe your drive is faulty.

coastered?

I know the disc works in other dvd-rw's at the college but not in mine... idk if that helps with the diagnosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro#MacBook_Pro_15.4.22

Read about the specs... ALL the Macbook Pros can read DL disks, no matter what time the are made. If the computers at your college can read the disk and your Macbook Pro can... than there is something wrong with our Macbook Pro.

UNLESS... you cheaped out on the 1st generation Macbook Pro and got the combo drive... well I guess you're going to have to buy a new optical drive.

Where can i get a new internal optical drive?? I'm not sure which core duo gen i have. And is it possible to get a new optical drive that'll be able to burn DL disks as well.... or does core duo and core 2 duo generations use different optical drive connections?

it can't do +/- RW DL discs, but it should be able to do +/- R DL discs.

to find out exactly what it can burn:
Go to apple menu>About This Mac>More Info...>Disc Burning

that will give you any info you need.

i have a used Mashita UJ-857 for sale that was used on a macbook. i "think" it might be able to use it on a pro. but you will have to check.

well under about MAC - my thing says it'll read DVDs and burn at -R,-RW and DVD-write -R,-RW,+R,+RW and the writing strategies are CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO

so i assume that it can't burn DL's but maybe should be able to read them... although i dont really know i always call apple to see if it should be able to read DL's cause i feel it shoulld.... and maye get a replaecment by myself or just ask them to fix it....

Thanks for your input guys :) any more input is also welcome.

As well, where would be a good place to find super-drive's with DL support that i could buy or some good slim-drive externals??

You should check your receipt to see what version you purchased. If you honestly believe you paid for a SUPER DRIVE other than a COMBO DRIVE you should call Apple.

Externals aren't slim...

you can buy slim external dvd-rw DL's though. They are very rare and expensive though.

Back