Macbook Pro 15.4" question

darktiger

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2007
What panel type does the new 15.4" LED macbook pro use and what is the color gamut it can display? I am thinking about changing over to the darkside, but color is important....

Gerry

Weaksauce
All MacBook Pro displays are TN. I'm not sure about the color gamut, and I do not do color work of any kind, but I will say that my MacBook Pro (previous model, but still the same LED backlit LCD) display is very good. The viewing angles are better than any other TN panels I have seen and color seems very accurate and natural (even when sitting next to a Trinitron CRT).

I believe you would be happy use the MacBook Pro display for color, especially if you calibrate it properly, as long as it is not very critical professional work.

Edit: My MBP has a matte display, but I think the matte vs. glass debate is a matter of personal preference. They should both be equally accurate when calibrated.

Aurelius

2[H]4U
The 15-inch MacBook Pro's colors are pretty good; the viewing angles are wide and things feel natural.

If you absolutely, positively depend on color accuracy, then you'll want the 17-inch MacBook Pro, since it has a very large color gamut. But it's not necessary unless you're actually being paid for image fidelity.

Black Morty Rackham

Supreme [H]ardness
The Macbook Pro is sort of ok, but it is still a TN display. You can do color sensitive work using it, but it does involve guesswork. If color accuracy is crucial, don't get an Apple laptop. In fact, don't get a laptop.

Absentee

[H]F Junkie
The Macbook Pro is sort of ok, but it is still a TN display. You can do color sensitive work using it, but it does involve guesswork. If color accuracy is crucial, don't get an Apple laptop. In fact, don't get a laptop.

qft.
no laptop is going to have a screen accurate enough for precision color work. hell, 90% of standalone monitors aren't up to the job lol

that said, mine works perfectly fine for college level art and design courses

Black Morty Rackham

Supreme [H]ardness
qft.
no laptop is going to have a screen accurate enough for precision color work. hell, 90% of standalone monitors aren't up to the job lol
Oh certainly! Stand-alone monitors are not necessarily better than laptop displays. The display in my Macbook Pro is head and shoulders better than my piece-of-shit Samsung 24" (245b) TN panel. But Apple or Eizo or what have you stand-alone displays are significantly better than both. They usually cost more than a whole computer, though... I don't know about the current iMac, but the older 24" ones were actually a pretty good deal — monitors of that quality will set you back a fair bit of money. It's not just any 24" panel in them.