MacBook Pro ('10) replacement battery

daphatgrant

Fi-yah!
Staff member
I asked a somewhat knowledgeable Mac owner that I know if he had any suggestions on where to get a battery replacement for my MacBook Pro. He suggested MacSales.Com. Any thoughts on them? I've never heard of them before but I'm also not typically a Mac person.

The battery I need is an A1322. MacSales is selling them for $95 and Amazon for as low as $40 with decent reviews. I'm not opposed to spending more if it's on a better product. Thanks for any input guys.

- dunastrig

I’d stick with a macsales. Great company. I’ve got quite a few things from them.

I'd pretty much only buy from Apple directly. But that's mostly because when dealing with expensive lithium batteries (that is to say, batteries that have to be very regulated in terms of power and power expensive electronics), most don't bother to have the kind of tolerances that OEM manufacturers have. Often having batteries that are over rated, underdeliver, don't hold charge, or fail early.

That said, OWC (aka macsales) is probably one of the few that I would even remotely consider buying a non OEM replacement from. They've been making after market stuff for Apple for a long time and make things as "OEM like" generally as possible. It is their only specialization.

So, if you're not going to get an actual Apple one, I wouldn't suggest anywhere else.
Why not Amazon? Because you're very likely to get knockoff crap. Which falls into the category of my first paragraph. And third party ones that don't bother to try to be knockofss will also be the same grade.
(And as a way of hammering this home, yes I have experience with crap third party batteries. From Apple replacements, Samsung replacements, and others).

Last edited:
At that price I'd probably stick with the macsales battery assuming your macbook is in otherwise good shape. That being said, when I rebuilt a waterdamaged 13" MBP (also 2010) I opted for the cheapo amazon route (some generic "onehunglo" brand that isn't available on amazon anymore) and it's been trouble-free for the past three years, so you might get lucky. I only went the cheap route because the rest of the laptop cost me ~$100, making it tough to justify spending twice as much on a quality battery.

Thanks for the responses guys :D I'll check with Apple to see what they want for an OEM replacement, if it's far higher than the price from MacSales I'll just go with them.

Thanks for the responses guys :D I'll check with Apple to see what they want for an OEM replacement, if it's far higher than the price from MacSales I'll just go with them.
More than likely a 2010 macbook pro is going to be in vintage or obsolete status so they wont even have the part for you. You might be able to get one from an AASP if they have one. Otherwise, Macsales.com would be a solid choice to go with. They have always had some of the first third part mac parts and upgrades and always have been top notch.

Also to add, When it comes to batteries you definitely get what you pay for, but you do run the risk of diminishing returns. So don't go too cheap, but dont go too expensive. When Apple sold the batteries for that machine they were about $130.

More than likely a 2010 macbook pro is going to be in vintage or obsolete status so they wont even have the part for you. You might be able to get one from an AASP if they have one. Otherwise, Macsales.com would be a solid choice to go with. They have always had some of the first third part mac parts and upgrades and always have been top notch.

Also to add, When it comes to batteries you definitely get what you pay for, but you do run the risk of diminishing returns. So don't go too cheap, but dont go too expensive. When Apple sold the batteries for that machine they were about $130.
Thanks man, it was a freebee and I don't usually take it too far from the wall so I don't mind throwing a little cash at it.

OWC isn't bad for Mac stuff as well.

*edit* sorry - already been mentioned. Wasn't familiar with the MacSales name.

OWC isn't bad for Mac stuff as well.

*edit* sorry - already been mentioned. Wasn't familiar with the MacSales name.

Yeah, it's confusing. They call themselves OWC on pretty much all their sites and products etc, but their actual URL is macsales. Not sure why there is this discrepancy. Possibly because getting a 3 letter URL was cost prohibitive, or that Macsales makes it more obvious about what they do. Or that "Other World Computing" is too long (you'll note on Macsales.com that "Other World Computing" is their tagline as opposed to their site name).

In any case, its the same company.

Is this the same battery as Macbook Pro 2012 13"?
You may find lightly used genuine Apple batteries on ebay.

Back