MacBook or other Apple products that come with paid software

Tweak155

Gawd
I noticed people will resell a MBP for example and they say it comes with XXX software (Office, Final Cut, etc). Do you actually get to keep this software some how ? I always thought it was tied to an Apple ID.

But I noticed you can buy Macs straight from Apple that come with software... so I assume there is some way to make sure you keep it? Is it tied to the serial number of the hardware or anything?

No. You're correct. Don't buy into it.
Basically the owner has purchased the software. Downloaded it all. But then of course upon selling they sign out. The computer will still have the software in a usable state. But to me since you can't actually keep it or transfer it to any other device it has zero value.

No. You're correct. Don't buy into it.
Basically the owner has purchased the software. Downloaded it all. But then of course upon selling they sign out. The computer will still have the software in a usable state. But to me since you can't actually keep it or transfer it to any other device it has zero value.

Ah ok, so then the Apple store likely just throws a key in the box or something (or ship you the product separately). Makes sense. Thanks!

A lot of places like eBay also have the software pirated. I've seen listing that include things like FCP/Adobe suite, etc.

A friend of mine bought one a long time ago and it was just cracked software.

I never value software with hardware unless it's a sealed unused key.

They are just downloading it from a pirate site and installing it for you

Keep in mind that Apple computers (AFAIK, I've only had one) do come with Apple's version of office software - Pages (word processing), a spreadsheet app and a presentation Powerpoint-type app for free with their OS, so you really don't need to buy office type apps for your Mac if you don't really need to / want to.

But the other popular apps you mentioned - like Final Cut video editing - or whatever else are all pay to play.

Back