MacBook Core Duo2 - Will it run WoW

Macca

Limp Gawd
I've been interested in getting rid of my pc and getting a laptop. I've always liked apples ibooks and macbooks that i've seen friends etc use. So i've been interested in getting one myself instead of a windows one.

My only problem is how well will these new MacBooks run WoW? As i noticed they only have intergrated graphics. It would probably be the 2.0ghz version with 1GB ram.

If anyone has any expierence and could tell me the kind of FPS you get playing in all situations.

I'm not exactly sure how well a Macbook would run WoW but I doubt it would run that well mainly due to the integrated graphics. I was debating whether or not to go with a Macbook or a Macbook Pro. I decided to go with the Macbook Pro. I think if you are going to be doing any kind of gaming a MBP is the way to go if you can afford it.

You can even get a decent Refurb Macbook Pro Core Duo for $1,600 which is not too bad of a deal.

It runs on my old dell 700m. Biggest issue with wow is ram, you want a gig at least. Obviously you wont get optimal framerates in crowded cities or big 40 man raids, but for normal questing and instances it will be just fine.

I would definitely go with the macbook pro if you want to play WoW, the macbook just doesn't have the video capabilities

I don't mind what settings it's on, but if it can run fine in raids in the new patch coming next year and in the battlegrounds i don't mind.

I don't want max fps, but playable fps and no lagg. I was hoping because it's got these new core duo2 cpu's it might help not having an actual graphics card as i've seen on pc format there very powerful.

Would ideally like someone to give me rough FPS idea from there macbook.

I've got my ole G4 powerbook with a gig of ram, and it can play WoW fine, if i'm just doing solo questing, maybe a 5 man group or something... but I've tried playing WSG, and doing 40 man raids and it is just out of the question. To much lag, and it's just not fun at all.

Ok thanks, but i thought that these two different macbooks would have totally different performance.

I have a 1.83ghz Core Duo Macbook with 512mb of ram. I get 10-15fps running around in an empty area, so pretty much unplayable except for chatting with the guild or checking the AH. The thing is, the game isn't CPU bound on a Macbook so an upgrade to C2D won't help much. That said, I think with 2gb of ram you could get enough FPS to do easy quests and 5 mans. Basically anything that doesn't require snap reflexes.

Also keep in mind that the expansion is going to use a multi-threaded version of OpenGL which will increase performance on all these dual core laptops noticeably.

Code:
  Machine Name:	Mac
  Machine Model:	MacBookPro2,2
  Processor Name:	Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:	2.16 GHz
  Number Of Processors:	1
  Total Number Of Cores:	2
  L2 Cache (per processor):	4 MB
  Memory:	1 GB
  Bus Speed:	667 MHz

Chipset Model:	ATY,RadeonX1600
  Type:	Display
  Bus:	PCIe
  VRAM (Total):	128 MB

It runs WoW just fine. No problems at all. But I'm not very demanding.

Xenarchy said:
Code:
  Machine Name:	Mac
  Machine Model:	MacBookPro2,2
  Processor Name:	Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:	2.16 GHz
  Number Of Processors:	1
  Total Number Of Cores:	2
  L2 Cache (per processor):	4 MB
  Memory:	1 GB
  Bus Speed:	667 MHz

Chipset Model:	ATY,RadeonX1600
  Type:	Display
  Bus:	PCIe
  VRAM (Total):	128 MB

It runs WoW just fine. No problems at all. But I'm not very demanding.

That's a MacBook Pro though, of course that will run WoW pretty well, we're talking about a normal MacBook though.

MacBook Pro will run WoW. I have one and tried WoW out and it runs pretty well. This is my first Mac and it's been a very good experience so far.

placeboFx said:
MacBook Pro will run WoW. I have one and tried WoW out and it runs pretty well. This is my first Mac and it's been a very good experience so far.

he wants to know about a regular macbook though, not a macbook pro.

Optional87 said:
That's a MacBook Pro though, of course that will run WoW pretty well, we're talking about a normal MacBook though.

Yeah I read the title wrong. I'm sorry about that.

an old g4 12" powerbook runs wow better than a macbook.
the onboard video solution for the macbook simply sucks.

Thanks for all your help. One last question -

How easy is it to add extra memory and is it advisable to do it yourself or from apple as i do understand they charge quite a bit more.

Macca said:
Thanks for all your help. One last question -

How easy is it to add extra memory and is it advisable to do it yourself or from apple as i do understand they charge quite a bit more.

Remove the battery, 3 screws that hold the memory in place with a metal bar, and then use the little flippy things to eject it and then put in your own.

It's REALLY easy. I bought my MacBook the day before, went to Fry's the next day, installed my memory, then I opened the box on my MacBook, installed the memory, and then I started using it. I never at any time worked on it with it's original 512MB.

Will installing the memory myself break the warranty or anything? Would it be better to put 2x512matched or a 1gb stick and keep the 512 with it? Or does it need to have matched sticks, sorry i've never had an apple :)

Macca said:
Will installing the memory myself break the warranty or anything? Would it be better to put 2x512matched or a 1gb stick and keep the 512 with it? Or does it need to have matched sticks, sorry i've never had an apple :)

There are two memory slots, each capable of holding a 2GB stick. I would stick with 2x1gb, but it isn't dual channel, it's just something like it.

The warranty is not void by any means, just if you want to return it to Apple for repair work in the future, they'd rather you put your original Apple memory back in.

So i could buy a new 1gb stick and keep the old 512 and it will work fine?

Thanks for the help :)

They ship with 2x256 unless you buy it with another configuration. You can't get it with a single 512 or single 1gb, it's 2x256, 2x512, or 2x1gb.

It actually cost 199 at fry's for the 2x1gb set, and I think it's 158 on the apple store online or in-store to get 2gb so i think it's actually cheaper to buy it from apple now.

Ah ok, so it would be 1.25gb. I'm from Scotland so it's different over here all these prices and stuff. Right ok, might have to purchase two 1gb sticks or just go with 1x 1gb and 1x256mb stick combined.

Back