Macbook Air has no range on new wireless router

cyberslag5k

Limp Gawd
My ISP (Time Warner :() just replaced my Arris router with a Motorola router. It seems to work okay, both wired and with my Roku which is down stairs. But while my Macbook Air (2011, I believe) gets the full 30mbps if it's in the same room in the router, it plummets to unusable speeds just one room away. I even performed a speed test, and walked from one room to another (maybe 30 feet away), and I could watch it go from very fast to almost nothing.

I've improved it somewhat by switching to 5GHz and a 40mz channel, but I'm amazed at how quickly things degrade between these two devices with even a small amount of range. Again, my Roku, which is on a different floor, has no issues, and I've never had an issue like this with my Macbook before. It was only when the new router came to live with us.

What might cause this, and are there further settings that might alleviate the problem?

Thank you.

Sometimes devices just don't work well together? Like some network cards not flowing well with certain switches etc...might be part of it..

You should use the setting "Auto (20 or 40 MHz)" and let the router decide which performs best. Restricting to 40MHz is often not the best choice.

Exactly which Motorola router is it? Model number and perhaps a hardware revision number should be on a sticker on the bottom or back. You can most likely just replace it with a router of your own which may work significantly better.

Back