Mac won't boot after I rebooted the system with hard drive inserted. Please help.

oliveryuan

n00b
So recently I've been messing around with Linux Ubuntu and have it dual booted along with Mac OS X with rEFInd. I was messing with terminal and had a 1TB hard drive inserted. I rebooted by typing in 'init 6' and then got a black screen and the Mac wouldn't do anything. Eventually it's battery drained out and I put it on charge later on but it wouldn't switch on. Please help.

When you say you had a 1tb hard drive inserted. Is the hard drive installed on the mac using the sata or is this USB inserted? If it's USB inserted have you tried unplugging the hard drive and rebooting the Mac to see if it loads from the internal hard drive?

If you're new into linux, using a Mac as the hardware is about the best way to get unnecessary problems. Macs have quirks, they're specifically designed to work around OSX so you can and will encounter problems you wouldn't do in a regular PC. You probably need to do a firmware reset by starting the computer while holding Command, Option, P and R

Thanks for your reply. I've managed to fix this issue by following this guide: https://iboysoft.com/mac-data-recovery/mac-wont-boot-what-to-do.html,

Here are what I've done:
1. Try to zap the PRAM and reset the SMC, then booted with the install disc again but to no avail.
2. Repair the hard disk in Recovery Mode. Turn off my computer, turned on it again, and immediately press and hold Command+R key combinations when hearing the startup chime. Select Disk Utility from the macOS Utilities menu in Recovery Mode. Select the startup disk or the macOS partition ( the Macintosh HD usually) in the left sidebar. Click on First Aid on the top and click Run to repair this disk. When it finishes repairing this disk, click Done and restart your Mac as normal. Finally, the hard disk was successfully repaired and the computer booted with no problem.

I hope this will help if someone meets the same issue as well.

Last edited:
Back