Mac with Dell secondary monitor

babelmh13

Limp Gawd
Is this Possible? my office has.. idk fuckin mac desktops whatever the model is im not sure, i can update tomorrow from my office but less than three years old. there are also dell G2410t widescreen monitors lying around. i want to connect them to throw webpages and toolbars on the secondary. Is this doable?... I assume ill need some steve jobs bullshit apple cable that cost 80 bucks to accomplish the simplest of computer needs.

Help?

Macs have used standard connectors for almost two decades now, minus the special ADC connector used in the early to mid 2000's, for the displays that didn't have seperate power cables. But even back then most still had a DVI video output.

If these are modern Macs it should be no problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Display_Connector

Last edited:
If they have DisplayPort or Thunderbolt then you will need DisplayPort to DVI adaptors. The basic ones give you a single-link DVI connection and are cheap to buy since they are just passive wiring. More expensive adaptors provide a dual-link DVI signal, but these should not be needed for the monitor you mention.

I'm doing what you're talking about with a third monitor through USB. I just throw Spotify on it or when I'm inspecting elements of a webpage it's there. I connected the third monitor to my Mac Mini using this USB to DVI connector for $50.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm doing what you're talking about with a third monitor through USB. I just throw Spotify on it or when I'm inspecting elements of a webpage it's there. I connected the third monitor to my Mac Mini using this USB to DVI connector for $50.

You must have external speakers for audio then huh? Usb doesnt transfer audio/video right? Or have i missed some new advancement?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Heres what ive got:

iMac
27-inch, Mid 2011
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Serial Number DCPH39R0DHJP
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63b)

Looks like ive got 2 thunderbolt ports and some usb ports but thats all

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204154#22
http://superuser.com/questions/3334...r-to-the-thunderbolt-port-on-a-mac-and-vice-v

As far as I know the thunderbolt ports on your mac act as displayports too. You will need display port to mini display port adapter, though.

You can connect a display port monitor to the thunderbolt mac, but not the other way.
For example the new thunderbolt cinema display can't be used with display port gpu's.

What connections does your dell monitor have?

sorry for the late response. The dell has dvi-d and vga outputs. I know what I need is a thunderbolt to vga adapter but didnt want to buy one because i wont have any use for it other than this one application at my office. I was hoping i could steal the thunderbolt to vga adapter that is being used on our macmini server in the office and replace that with an hdmi to dvi-d female adapter (also in the office). Then attach another adapter piece to that (dvi-d male to vga female) and run that for its monitor. but when i tried that, the screen showed the red blue green message thing. Its such a pain cuz the shitty little server they have setup only has a vga output. Its like a perfect storm of nope fuck you.

Amazon basics mini-dp to either VGA or dvi. I use both and they work well. I must have over a dozen of each. They were like $8 each.

Back