Mac Wireless Networking

totmachen

Limp Gawd
My girlfriend is moving into an apartment for the upcoming school year. I am good with networking window boxes, but not very familiar with mac networking. They will have a cable modem connected to a Dlink 604 router. Her roomates have desktops and will be fine wired, but my girlfriend has a G3 iBook. She has decided she wants to go wireless. I know she does not have an airport card in the ibook. I would like to know:

Can I get a PC card and put it in the airport spot, or have to buy a airport card only?
Can the iBook connect to a Dlink or Linksys WAP or router or do I have to use a airport base station?

I think thats what I need to know
Thanks!

You'll need an AirPort card. PC card's won't work.

However to make matters worse Apple no longer makes or stock's AirPort card's so you'll have to try eBay, Micro Center, CompUSA, Fry's, etc.

And the iBook can connect to a Linksys or D-Link router/WAP and an AirPort Base Station is not required.

Did some searching, same answer as that. Good to know. Now, can I use an airport extreme card or do I have to use a regular airport card?

thanks for the reply

Hi
Belkin make a wireless usb exterrnal 11b network card that works with os x. Chech the apple sticky for the details. Got one here and it works like a champ.

Cheers

L

totmachen said:
Did some searching, same answer as that. Good to know. Now, can I use an airport extreme card or do I have to use a regular airport card?

thanks for the reply
AirPort, not AirPort Extreme.

thanks for the replys!

I am gonna return the 604 router since I didnt think that the wireless routers have wired ports. I looked at them, and sure enough, they do. So, I will get a Dlink 524 802.11g wireless router, connect the 2 roomates into the wired ports, and then get a Dlink DWL-122 usb wireless adapter for the iBook. Since Apple stopped making airport cards, they are really expensive. The usb adapter will work just fine.

Sound good?

totmachen said:
thanks for the replys!

I am gonna return the 604 router since I didnt think that the wireless routers have wired ports. I looked at them, and sure enough, they do. So, I will get a Dlink 524 802.11g wireless router, connect the 2 roomates into the wired ports, and then get a Dlink DWL-122 usb wireless adapter for the iBook. Since Apple stopped making airport cards, they are really expensive. The usb adapter will work just fine.

Sound good?

Sounds fine, although I'd really hunt for the regular AirPort card, just to make life that much easier...one less thing to lug around.

and the fact that you wouldn't have a dongle hanging off the comp that if you forget and put into your computer bag will probably break both the port and the adapter

Back