Mac Pro Mid 2010 Windows boot issue

obviouslytom

Fully [H]
I have a mid 2010 Mac Pro with the dual quad core xeon with 32gb of ram. I have a 120gb SSD and it was partitioned so that I could dual boot. It goes to OS X just fine but to windows it's a black screen.

The video card that came with the system is an old ATI 2600XT with 256mb of ram on it. When in OS X, that's fine and when I go to windows, I put my AMD R9 290x. Everything was working correctly last night and I shut it down before bed and when I got home from work and started it up to go back into windows, nothing was there, just the black screen.

I have been staring at the system for about 30 min wondering if anything will ever pop up because one day it took 20 min to get to the login screen and once there, it worked as it should.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could cause this. I have done the control + option + p + r to reset something and it doesn't help.

I threw in the old ati card to get the boot screen and all I got was a flashing folder with a question mark.

I threw in the old ati card to get the boot screen and all I got was a flashing folder with a question mark.

Generally that’s a an HD issue. I’d check that first to see if there is corruption or failure. I’m guessing it’s failure.

Generally that’s a an HD issue. I’d check that first to see if there is corruption or failure. I’m guessing it’s failure.
That's what I initially thought as well because the original drive I had in there was a 500gb 7200rpm that was working perfect and once windows was installed, it wouldn't boot after switching video cards. I highly doubt that 2 hard drives went bad in the system like that.

After watching one video, could it be because within windows, I didn't install the bootcamp software?

That's what I initially thought as well because the original drive I had in there was a 500gb 7200rpm that was working perfect and once windows was installed, it wouldn't boot after switching video cards. I highly doubt that 2 hard drives went bad in the system like that.

After watching one video, could it be because within windows, I didn't install the bootcamp software?

If you didn’t install the boot camp drivers, I’d definitely start there. A lot of problems occur from not having them.

I will do a reinstall of everything tonight and add in those drivers and see if it fixes it.

Well I am a complete idiot. I got home and was sitting here running thru my head as to what I need to do to fix everything. I had my boot thumb drive ready and I stopped and decided to check something inside the case. I went to the SSD and made sure its actually firmly connected. Once I did that, I hit the power button and everything booted right up.

The SSD came loose because I have it jerry-rigged right now since I need to get an adapter to mount it in the case

Back